Sept 6, Red Rock

Discussion in 'IOWA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Burwell40, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Took two boats over to Red Rock today.
    My brothers-in-law in the other boat caught 15.
    My brother and friend in my boat caught 22-25, I lost count. All told, I expect we had a 5lb average (seriously, they were all nice channel cats) with a big of 9 or 10 lbs, my scale isn't that great. The carcasses filled the can at the fish cleaning station.

Bait was sparse but we could net enough to fish with.

Mike.

2. Iablue

Iablue New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Sounds like a good day, Mike. I'm not real familiar with Red Rock, having only fished it half a dozen times. It is about two hours from me. Is it common to get bait around the cleaning stations or the ramps? Hope you have some more good days with the cats.:wink:

3. mdavis

mdavis New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We was out there on the 4,5 and 6th also and caught about 80 pounds of cat each day. Grew up on that lake fishing and always catch my cats up west where the river dumps into the lake. Caught every one of them in 1 foot of water. I think we might have seen you or your other boat at the ramp one morning. Where you the group trolling for them on the main lake? If so, what depth of water where you catching your cat in? We never have luck on the main lake but can go up on the west end in 1-3 foot of water and catch them all day.

4. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We had a couple of 16' Lowes. We were fishing across from that county boat ramp that's on the north side of the big lake pretty close to the 14 bridge.

Caught most of them between 12 and 16'. I don't know the water above the bridge well enough to navigate the stumps.

Mike.