Separating an 11' TIGER Rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by HARVRAD2003, Mar 20, 2007.

1. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I bought a 11' TIGER Rod a year or so ago off of ebay for around 40.00 with shipping and have practiced outside with a Diawa Emblem attached to it, great rod. Now here is my problem, don't know if it's due to my leverage or strength but how in the heck do you get the 2 pieces apart??? I can get it part of the way but then it gets to a point where it's almost like glued together, I have taken it apart once and that took a while also, I might just need to take my time and take it apart. Now another question is if I get it apart which in time I'm sure I will is there anything that I can put on the male end of the 2 pieces to make it easier to come apart next time or are they meant not to come apart easy. Only problem is if I go fishing it'll take a little time to get it apart. I was wondering if since it's not sold anymore and I'm sure it's over 10-15 yrs. old if maybe the ends need to be cleaned or something done to have it be taken apart easier, I know they should take a little elbow grease to take apart or else they wouldn't hold when together but this rod seems to be taken it a little to far. THANKS

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Randy,
    Have someone hold the butt section and grab the top section with both hands close to the joint. Twist in opposite directions and pull at the same time. That should do it.
    As for what to put on it so prevent it sticking; a tiny amount of vegetable oil or Beeswax will help it not get hung up but first have a good look and make sure there is no damage from pulling it apart and that there are no burrs or edges that can get hung up. Lightly, VERY LIGHTLY sand it if necessary but yes you are correct it should be a little tight...W

3. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Randy a little trick I have used when by yourself is to put the rod behind you at your knees kind of crouch down bending at the knees then use your knees to force your arms apart. This pulls the rod parts in a direct line with an even force. First you might have to soak the rod with penetrating oil standing up to loosen the joint. Use a very fine emery paper if you do sand it. Luck

4. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    A trick that I was told a long time ago to keep a rod from sticking is to rub it in your hair. The natural oils in your hair will make it easier to pull your rod apart, without getting a bunch of oil everywhere. Plus you always have it with you. Check your rod often, to make sure that you don't cast your rod tip off. If you use sandpaper on it, I would use very fine emery cloth. Place the end in your hand, with the emery cloth wrapped around it. Now give it two - three complete turns, while applying light pressure. Wipe off the dust and check for fit. Check for fit after every couple of turns, you don't want to make it too loose. This should do it.

5. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    A trick my grandpa showed me when he gave me my first flyrod was to rub the "male" end of the rod on the sides of your nose and the oil from that will help the rod not to stick.

Also like previously stated, hold the rod behind your back grabbing each end of the connection and pull apart.

6. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Once you get the rod seperated again rub plain old candle wax on the male section of the two ends and this will keep them from seizing together again. Tip of the day:smile2:

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Stand with your feet together, knees slightly bent. Place the rod behind your knees with the ferrule centered between them; both hands on the rod, one on each side, tight up against the knees. Now, use your knees to push your hands apart, which will result in a nice straight-line force to separate the 2 rod pieces. I just rub the male ferrule against the side of my nose before putting them together to make separating them easier.

8. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Thanks alot for all of the help finally got it apart. Is this normal for a 2 piece rod to be so hard to seperate or is it usually on the older rods?

9. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    No it happens thats how i got the candle wax tip. now dont get me wrong if you want to rub body parts on your poles hey go for it , but the candle wax works also lol :lol:

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    It's not so much that I prefer rubbing the male ferrule against my nose, rather than using candle wax, WD-40, or something else as it is that, unlike the other stuff, I've always got my nose with me.

11. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    go to the flyfishing section of your local tackle shop and buy some ferrule (I know I spelled it wrong) wax. it works wonders. or just use parafin or candle wax (not dyed though) HTH

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Try some "Simple Green"which is good for cleaning crud off of fishing gear of all types,including grease out of reels.The SOS or such pad at the kitchen sink can be lightly used for male and female fittings.Split or nick a small stick on the end.Twirl a small piece of soap pad or steel wool around the stick and gently twirl it in the female end to clean.Rinse.Dry.As for the doubters."Nose Oil" has stood the test of time longer than anything you can buy,and is not urged on you in any way so that someone can make a profit.Much of our population has been taught that "it has to be bought to be any good".I am just too ignorant to believe this.I have seen "Nose Oil" work from below freezing to 3 digit heat for over 55 years.I could never find live fish to fish for in water colder or hotter than this,so I never had a need to purchase a "Better product".My rods have been stored in temperatures as low as 30 below zero to 147 degrees according to thermometers and worked fine the next time I used them.My nose has not faired as well.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

13. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brother Peewee;
    One thing I found that helps me when one gets stuck, which is RARE nowadays, is to put ICE, crushed Ice, around the joint for a few minutes and let it get really cold and all.
    Then take the ice away and quickly put your hand on the Female Ferrule for a few seconds then start pulling on the male end.
    What you have done is cooled the male and female ends and caused them to shrink.
    By grabbing the female ferrule with your warm hand you are heating it up causing it to expand AWAY from the cold male end.
    This is something I learned up in Canada about 30-35 years ago and it has always served me well.

I hope it helps you too.
    Then when you get it apart, use some fine graphite as a lubricant or perhaps a cotton rag that has a drop or two of some of those High Tech wonder lubricants in them!
    Hope this helps. :smile2: :smile2:
    Catch Ya Later On.
    Cordially,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Msg]]]]]