Senko Worm

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by Dmitri, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Has anyone else ever fished a senko worm? I've always been a fan of lizards and curley tailed worms but this senko is amazing. Because it is impregnated with so much salt, the plastic is very flimsy and the extra weight makes it fall perfectly. If fished weightless it hits the water and as it falls, the tail (and head if you rig it wacky style) swim back and forth, making it look like an injured dying worm or fish as it sinks. Many hits happen on the fall. Once it is down you can fish it like you would a normal worm by pulling it along the bottom, or you could fish it like a swimbait, or even reel quickly as soon as it hits the water so it swims across the top. I don't know what it is but it looks like a worm with a fat midsection and a tapered head and tail. You can fish it texas-style and the tail has more action, or of course with a carolina rig or a small weight to flip and pitch, but I have the most success with the "wacky rig." You just put the hook through the middle of the bait and out the other side. http://www.insideline.net/images/wacky-fig3.jpg I don't know how true the science of this is, or if it's ever happened to me, but some pros have said that if you stop your retrieve if it was going at a steady rate, the wiggle of the worm causes it to back up slightly when the line loses that tension, causing fish that were following it to sometimes run into it and then swallow it up. Just some things I've learned from fishing with it and what I have read elsewhere, hope this helps anyone, because this is an amazing bait for those who like soft plastics.

2. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am a fan of thesenko also. There are other imitations of the bait but the Yamamoto senko is the best one.

3. hawkman

hawkman Member

State:
    Hiawatha,Ks
    I like the flash better

4. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i am a fan of the sinking worms
    as far as what this kid says ill outfish him anyday with wave worm brand that is is 1/3 the price hahaha

5. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You'll outfish who?

6. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Breck,

This is the reason I love "Senkos".

:confident: Enough Said! lol

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shaina:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

Attached Files:

7. Jordan

Jordan New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Try using the Yum Dinger it is alot like the senko. They make a small 4 inch one that I catch alot of crappie on. I like to rig it wacky style or just straight but weightless.

8. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    I try not to buy yammamoto products, there is no reason they should be over 7 dollars a bag.

9. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
  10. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Couple years ago I caught 3 bass within 2 hours. One on a white senko,one on a yellow senko and one on a black senko. How about that???

11. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I catch more fish on a Senko type bait by hooking it Texas rigged and letting it sink on slack line, if no bite on the sink, then just let it sit, leave it just as long as you can stand too, then just a little while longer, with no movement at all. After you can't stand it any more take up the slack and just barely move it, if there is no fish on it then, reel it in and do it again. Boring, drive ya crazy kind'a fish'n, but I catch more and bigger bass this way than any other, specially in the spring.

12. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Do you just Texas Rig it on the hook, or do you use weight? It sounds like no weights are being used, but I'm just checking.

13. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    No weight, just Texas rig the hook. The slow sink is what makes it work so well, 90% of my bites are just after it hits the bottom and has sat the motionless for a few seconds. Also works good, rigged the same way, on a flippin pole when the bass are in the bushes or weeds. Just flip into the thick stuff and let it fall, watch your line real well and when it twitches, set the hook and hang on.

14. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sounds like the way to do it.

15. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Senkos and the other brands are great baits. Try fishing it slooowww.

16. bc179whitetail

bc179whitetail New Member

State:
    St.Louis Missouri
    Breck

Try using a shakey head rig with a Yum forked dinger from the Bass Pro Shop. A guide at Table Rock got me started on them last year. They are great.

Good luck Jeff

17. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I like them and the Senko is definitely the best one. It is worth the extra money b/c it works better than the imitations. I never use a weight with them, but I've seen people catch them with a weight.

18. cchichy

cchichy New Member

State:
    Cookport,
    i like to weight one end of my worms with a finishing nail so it falls to that end every time... i prefer the cheap o wally world tikki sticks ... caught these on a black and orange tikki stick

Attached Files:

19. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    The Yamamoto Senko is a great bait. I have seen this bait when tournaments in hot and ice cold temperatures. I love fishing plastics but this is a must have confidence bait. I like both 4" and 5" sizes. Give them a try and fish them slow. Let the bait work for you.

20. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Austin is right i have been using the Gary Yamamoto senkos for 5-6 years now and have had great results with them. In fact its pretty much the only soft plastic bait i use for bass fishing. I use the 3 inch for smallmouth and the 5 or 6 inch for large mouth. Also i use the Yamamoto salamanders for large mouth too.