Senior discounts - right or wrong?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Nobody Special, May 11, 2006.

1. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I went to Ci Ci's Pizza and had all the pie I could eat today for $2.99. It would have cost me $3.99 if I was younger. Is it right to charge some people more than others just because of their age?

I do take advantage of the discounts at every opportunity, and am by no means well off, but I am better off financially that I have ever been before. From what I see, the kind of old folks that travel and dine out often can usually afford to pay for their stuff better than the 20 year old kid that's living from paycheck to paycheck. So why charge him more?

A senoir citizen with a million dollar motor home can stay at a Corps of Engineers campground for half what it would cost a young man with 3 kids to feed. Is that right?

2. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    In some ways it alright. I know since i'm 17, i don't like to pay the full price for food. It burns holes in my wallet. But the older people have paid full price for there food when they were younger also. So I think senior discounts are just a way of thank you, and thanks for your money when you were younger. It's just a way of being nice.

3. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    I can't think of a think that's wrong with it. those same seniors were the ones that came in and bought meals for their families years ago and made the restaurants what they are. sure, there are some well to do seniors, but they have paid years of taxes, and they are getting screwed by the government more and more every day. any break they can get is ok by me.RESPECT YOUR ELDERS!!!!
    catwacker

4. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    I think a big part of offering a child or senior discount is simply due to the fact that they don't eat as much as a person in their prime. I know some stores offer senior discounts on certain days of the week also, and that might just be a marketing ploy.

5. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i knew someone would get it - way to go Jen:0a27:

how many seniors eat by themselves? the discount is small, comparatively speaking, and they usually bring in more business as a result. yes indeed, it is a marketing ploy:big_smile:

6. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    the worst than about a senior discount is when they give it to you without asking your age.:sad_2a:

7. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree... there is something wrong with that picture. I believe the price should be the same no matter what your age. Another thing, when I was 20 yrs old, those good lookin' waitress' never called me "sweetie", "honey', "sugar", etc...

I'm a senior citizen and I'm supporting all movements now...by eating bran, prunes, and raisins.

8. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

Sometimes they can just tell, when dirt is younger than someone :look_down: :haha: :shame: :feel_good: :surrender: :ah: :boss:

9. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    oh Tony, that is just mean:eek:oooh:

dale, i am only 50, and i get snail mail from the AARP every other day wanting me to join:embarassed:

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Maybe it is a matter of ethics. If your a senior citizen in a million dollar Winnebago, you should not take the discount. If your a senior citizen who made minimum wage all your life, your social security is going to be lower than lawyers, and we all know how low that can get. So, like I say... ethics...doing what is right.

11. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I'm All For Giving Seniors Discounts, After All They Have Contributed To Society For Many Years In Many Ways, Besides All The Taxes They Paid.

Burns My Arse To See How Society Gives Aid To People Who Are Truly Able To Provide, Yet Unwilling !!:angry_2: Elliot

12. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    You mean AARP doesn't stand for Anglers Anonymous Recruiting Phil? :big_smile:

BTW, I have no problem with Sr. Discounts!

Eric

13. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I joined AARP once to get a 10% discount when I had AOL . I let my membership expire after the first year, but I still use the card for a discount when I stay in a motel. They never look to see if it's expired or not. I get mail from them about 3 times a week wanting me to renew.

14. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I think all hispanics should get a discount! LOL! OH! I thought ya said "SENOR"

15. kbgrillin

kbgrillin New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I personally have no problem with seniors getting a discount. They've paid full price all of thier lives, now it's time to give them a break.

16. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I should be charged double for as much as I can eat, I have problem with most senior discounts cause they earned them.

17. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Gotta love them seniors. My father-in-law goes to the mall to walk and then goes to the foot court and knows where to get the drink the cheapest, then goes to a different place for the food and a different place for the dessert. Knows which one is the cheapest on what day for what item. Now that I'm just about to get the discounts, I have no problem with them.

18. Raypo

Raypo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I'm only 27 years old but I dont think there is anything wrong with that. The reason why I would rather senior citzens get a little help than thugs soaking government funds....

19. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    If you want the "straight skinny" ask an older person or a kid. The older person has kicked around or been kicked around long enough they will tell you like it is. If you ask the child-little kid, he will tell you because he doesn't know a lie might improve his position, or put him in a better light. Most of the restaurants I go to offer both, kids menu and seniors. I used to listen to my Grandpa tell great stories, now I listen to my Grand kids to remember how life has hardened my outlook. Absolutely, give them both a break!
    Don

20. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I think that Seniors should get the discount due to the fact they have put in thier miles. I dont care if the person has a Million dollor motor home or not for the most part Seniors have put thier time in and now you should be able to reap whap you have sown.