Senate Bill 606

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Ryan11r, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Ryan11r

Ryan11r New Member

State:
    Newton Kansas
    TOPEKA - A proposed law would require Kansas boaters to drain and possibly clean their boats between visits to lakes and rivers to ensure they aren't transporting invasive species.
    Invasive species -- such as Asian carp and zebra mussels -- disrupt the state's natural ecosystems and raise costs for cities relying on lakes for their water, Sen. Phil Journey, R-Haysville, told the Senate Natural Resources Committee on Thursday.
    He's sponsoring Senate Bill 606 in an effort to stop the spread.
    The proposed law requires boaters, anglers and others to make sure they don't introduce invasive species into bodies of water.
    The precautions, such as cleaning boats, are currently voluntary, but Journey's measure would create civil fines of up to $6,000, depending on the violation, for people that do not comply with the law.
    Cheney, El Dorado and Perry reservoirs and Winfield City Lake are already infested with zebra mussels, said Jason Goeckler, invasive species biologist for the Department of Wildlife and Parks.
    The city of Wichita gets 65 to 70 percent of its water from Cheney Reservoir, said Jerry Blain, superintendent of production and pumping for the city.
    Zebra mussels attach to surfaces such as concrete tubes, and can clog water valves. Controlling the problem can cost cities, and ratepayers, extra money.
    "It's their ability to foul and plug lines that is the problem," Blain said.
    While the mussels haven't clogged the pipes yet, the city is starting to look at possible projects to decide the best method to control them, Blain said. The options could include feeding ozone or chlorine into the water at the intake pipe, he said.
    The project could cost $500,000 to create and up to $270,000 to run annually.
    The state is working to educate anglers and boaters on precautions they can take to not spread the animals, Goeckler said.
    Boaters should make sure there are no vegetation or animals clinging to boats and drain equipment such as bait buckets, live wells and bilges, Goeckler said.
    Boats that have been in water infested with zebra mussels should either be washed with hot water at a car wash or be allowed to dry for five days.
    The bill also would broaden the department's enforcement ability, allowing police officers to enforce the rules along with wildlife and parks officers, he said.
    Money from the proposed fines would help inform people of the problems, help cities clean up water sources, be used for cleaning stations, and help eradicate invasive species, Journey said.
    Mike Hayden, secretary of Wildlife and Parks, said that while the department supported the idea of educating the public and preventing the spread of invasive species, he worried the bill did not include a reliable or adequate funding source.
    The committee will hear more testimony on the measure today

2. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Thanks for the info. :big_smile:

3. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I believe Perry was the last one to get hit. They found them just last October. It is sad that we can't stop the spread of these. I don't think this will help. Some people just don't care. There hasn't been very many successful efforts to stop any invasive species.

4. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    its good that they want to stop the spread of them. I would gladly comply with the proposed laws if they are set. what i am curious about is HOW are they going to enforce it ?? i dont see how they will be able to tell if one has complied or not. how easy it will be to "just say" that you have washed your boat ? i wonder if that number will be equal to or more than the ammount of people fishing without a licence.

5. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    If they pass this law, it means that just having a boat will make you a
    suspect immediately. They can hunt around for people to blame for any
    new infestation they find and extract enough $6000 fines to fuel the
    agencys responsible for finding the suckers to fund it. No real evidence
    will be required, just the say so of their appointed experts on the issue.
    Sounds like a Republican solution to me. Or is that Democrat? I lose
    track of that distinction pretty quick these days.

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    What?

I think should crack down more on people take one bait fish from one lake/river to another. Granite birds transfer the larva of zebra muscles just as easy though.

7. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    The bill calls for setting up inspections at boat ramps. Up to ten thousand hours of manpower to conduct inspections. Also the power to shut down all ramps for up to seven days. I have not read it in detail yet but noticed them items just glancing through it. I dont mind it. If we are going to try and stop it with laws then lets not do it half a**ed and just waste tax money. I would like to see a public report yearly as to how many boats they find zebras on. It would give us an idea of how much boats are contributing to the problem.

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I wouldn't even mind them building wash areas with a high powered wand and hot water. Would even pay a reasonable fee to use it to spray the boat and trailer after I have been in an effected body of water. Problem is, it has to be a soulution everyone will buy into, and I bet they can't find one.

9. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Ok read through it. Some of it is pretty dry reading. Some of the major items. A minimum of ten thousand hours dedicated to inspecting. Illegal to transport invasive fish as bait from one body of water to another. Must pull drain plugs on everthing before leaving infested waters area except toilets. Livewells included. Illegal to transport water from infested waters. Includes bait buckets. Illegal to put or attempt to put trailer or watercraft containing invasive species into noninfested waters. Build wash down stations for watercraft. Issue warnings from july 08 to dec 08. Fines starting jan 09. Most of the fines that would invole us would be $100. The bigger fines apply more to comercial fishing. $2000 for using same nets in infested and noninfested waters for example. Only comercial nets not cast nets we use. $6000 fine is for buying or selling invasive animals, fish, and plants. You really dont need to worry to much unless you boat in one of the infested bodies of waters.

10. carp 5O

carp 5O New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Boats can already be inspected at any time for safety equipment. How many folks will just pull the plug at the ramp if they see a uniform and let the water run into the lake anyway? As far as movement adult mussles are not the problem, it's the millions of veligers free floating in the water. Consider the Kansas River infected. Moving these things can be as simple as a guy duck hunting the KS river and then throwing out decoys that evening some place else. Will their be a dry decoy provision in the law?

11. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    It has been a little while since I read it, but if I remember right duck blinds and decoys were exempt. And I think the inspections will be before you leave the ramp after you load up, not before putting into the water.

12. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I think most adults would or at least should know to inspect there equipment before after use. So why not take the time and flush and clean! Yes there are those that haven't figured out that mommy is not here to do it for them anymore.

13. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Can't wait to see this one in action. To many ramps, not enough man hours. Clinton and the Kaw aren't far behind Perry.

Not looking forward to what zebra muscles will do to the water plants in Lawrence.

14. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I think El Dorado might have been the first lake to have Zebra Mussels in our state. They are a real pain in the rear. My lab has to wear booties to prevent slicing his feet to pieces when we are hunting and they cut your line sometimes when you pull it across stumps ect. The City of El Dorado and Frontier Refinery both get 100% of their water from the lake. So far (knock on wood) they have not had a significant impact on water plant or process equipment. For some reason the mussel population seems to be declining for the past several months. Maybe the bluecats are having an effect or maybe the weather has something to do with it. I don't know. I'd perfer they weren't there but have to say that the direst of predictions have yet to develop for us. I think the water clearity is higher now and they probably haven't helped many native species. I doubt we can get rid of them completely so we will just have to deal with them the best we can and try not to spread them to other water.

15. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I agree.I think the blues will help some.They will atleast take advantage of them and heck they may grow FAST in there.Time will tell.Glad to see ya postin Calvin.

16. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Lawrence, the washdown sounds good, BUT, AGAIN, how many folks will bother, and if they do, will they also wash out their livewells, and the pipes/tubes, pumps that supply them. Those are where these little devils can hang into also.
    I've been to El Dorado a couple of times, when I get home, I let the Catoon dry out, after a good washdown, for a couple of weeks before I even think of putting back in Milford Lake. I'm sure hoping I'm contributing to not speading them.

17. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    I think this is just another way to create new money and control our lives.