semi v or jonboat for river?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by F150Catfish, Jan 31, 2007.

1. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I own semi V, I alway use this boat on lake. now here, I thought jonboat are easy flat for river than semi V.. Any opinion?? Thank

2. Gunner-Fisherman

Gunner-Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use a deep V MirroCraft OUtfitter, love the way it handles everything. On the Ohio river big barges make BIG waves... this rides them very nice... I had a flat bottom and it worked great all the time until the barges passed by...

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    how deep is the water in the river u fish?
    some of the rivers i fish u HAVE to have flat bottom, they can pass over sand bars easier and easy to pull over ones they cant

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    its all personal preference a v-bottom will cut a wake as opposed to riding over it like a flat bottom , generaly the flat bottom is the boat for shallow water fishing or stump jumping it wont set in the water as deep as the v . i have a 16' riverjon 6' wide it sets 3 or 4 inches deep as opposed to the v that sets 8 to 12 inches . the flat bottom will nose dive bad when rideing over a wake head on into it where the v will cut it more . when anchored and hit from the side by a wake a v-bottom will rock more compared to the flat which will rise up and over the wake . the main reason i chose the flat over the v is it seems theres more room to move around , my decking in the boat is 5 foot wide from stern to bow as opposed to the tappered bow of the v-bottom .

5. Randy

Randy New Member

State:
    Trinity,Texas
    My semi V is a great fishing machine but fishing a trotline in current it cuts from side to side where my flatbottom does not. And when your going to pull up to a sand bar or gravel bar and git out of the boat and fish you cant beat my flat bottom, its a 16' with a wide 52" bottom and a perfect river boat. But I find most of the time I'll use the 1860 modified v I like the walking around room.

6. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I use a modified V 1754 jonboat. It does the stumps and shallows but does a better job on the chop than a regular jon though you do have to slow down for the barge wake.

7. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    some guys said low james river is about 70ft to 90ft but I never have put my boat in low james yet but someday I will. and There will big ship into low james river, when big ship are coming forward to us, I will get away from big ship and find safe place.