Selling furs to taxidermist??

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by TX Fisherman, Dec 17, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    i remember someone saying that they get alot more money selling a green coon to taxidermist instead of skinning it and stretching and drying it?

2. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i also recall someone saying i should get my badger stuffed by a taxidermist and i would get alot more money for it off ebay or something like that.

3. bowfoot

bowfoot New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Gotta be careful...in some states it's against the law to sell your fur, that you legally were licensed to catch, to anyone other than a licensed "fur dealer/buyer"...both you and the taxidermist can get hit with big fines...and stand to lose your trapping rights for up to one year and the taxidermist can have his licenses pulled also...so be careful ..check your state laws...Also in most states you are not allowed to have something mounted for the sole purpose of selling it...that's a no, no in many states...bowfoot

4. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

most taxi guys are licensed to buy fur. i sell all my odd ball stuff to them every year. and do make good money doing it. thats what they buy most of the time is odd ball animals.weird colors and so on. they want them for display perposes.i have had coyotes sold for 200 bucks for being weird colors all blacks, blondes,reds. and so on.

5. bowfoot

bowfoot New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I've been a licensed taxidermist for the last 45 years...had business'es in Oh., Mn., and Tn. and in none of those states was I allowed under my taxidermy lic's to buy odd animals...You could give them to me and then you could find some money laying on the floor of my shop and holler out FINDERS KEEPERS but I couldn't purchase them from you... and all of you know that I only used this as an example, cause I'd never do anything like that....bowfoot says that's my story and I'm sticking to it !

6. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

maybe its differnt in kansas then, heck if i know. i have a few taxi guys i sell to through out the year. i like to call them all and compare prices tell them so and so will give me this and so and so will give me that.lol

7. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Sounds like a good option where its legal. I'm sure they'd give more than the fur buyer. Sounds like trappers oughta work on makin it legal to do that.

8. bowfoot

bowfoot New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The states consider the only legal ways of selling wlid fur animals is that they license the persons doing the harvesting and the buying...and they like it that way...taxidermist can gather legally obtained specimens and mount them...if you harvested it legal and you give it to the taxidermist...at least in some states...he can add it to his or her collection for show room, etc....but the taxidermist also has rules about what they can and can't do with the specimens that they have...if someone doesn't pick up their mounts, there are laws that tell the taxidermist on how he can sell the left-over mount and for how much he can get out of it...Me being a taxidermist, I can not go out and harvest fur bearing animals or any game animals and just mount them and sell them...there are laws against that happening....bowfoot