Selling Catfish - A can of worms discussion

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by primitivefrn, Jan 12, 2006.

1. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    For discussion,
    I know this is a can of worms,
    We are not suppose, to sell fish in missouri, But, but some organizations,
    Have their fish frys, and take donations, or a plate price or offering.
    Is this, any difference than, selling stright out,
    seen them run trot lines, for 30 days or more and take shifts. from one group.
    heard of frist hand reports of, pickup bed covered with fish.
    Ive done trotlineing, all my life quite last year, seen trot lines, set all year long , and 2 to 3 hundred jugs in groups,
    Let me say this, I f you cant catach your limilte in 10 days , you need to change bait or get to moving some where else.
    Just posted this, as thinking materal, and protectinging the bluecat a little.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Got me stirred up Jim. Folks just gotta keep takein and takein. Get real sick of hearin the sayin "Theres plenty of fish in here" There used to be alot of different fish in certain waters and there isn't any more. Until the catfish is labeled a "GAME FISH" the continuous unregulated rape of the species will continue.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Rite on Jim! Just don't plant them too deep! LOL!

4. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    If there is an advisery out on those waters about consumption the clubs that do this are opening up a can of worms for lawsuits.Pregnant women and kids can have a bad reaction to the fish very easily.
    I ca'nt condone any mass fishing like this in public waters.USDA should send letters to groups that practice this ,or they should be smart enough to realize this by using good common sense.
    BILL

5. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Legally if a person makes a donation it is not buying a meal. If they say donation you do not have to pay to eat.
    I do agree with everyone else that that club is out of hand. They can buy frozen fish! It will cut into there profit margin but so what!
    BIll:(

6. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    i agree, primitivefrn,i've seen fish frys so huge i couldnt even fantom how many were caught for that occasion.do they still have that annual fourth-of july fish fry up there in Osceola?

7. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    And whatever you do do'nt plant them head down.
    BILL

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    primitivefrn, What lake was that at where the jugs numbered 200-300? I mean crap it looks like you are from missouri, and we only have a 33 hook law. How many people where watching them jugs.....

9. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    Here in utah the only two catfish we have are the black bullhead and the channel cat, wich are both classified as gamefish. Trot and jug lines are strictly illegal and strongley enforced, hell it's illegal to go ten feet from a baited line here.You would think that with all the strict regs we would find bigger fish more common up here. Hope you eastern guys can get it so y'all can meet in the middle on the harvest of those kitties.

10. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    I belong to the Lions Club, so I can see where service clubs want and need to raise money, but I am also a sportfisher so I don't want to see valuable resources like catfish depleted to raise money. Service clubs can purchase fish fairly cheap and grocery stores are always willing to help local service clubs with donations of food(slaw and taters) so a very profitable fund raiser can be had...just my 2 cents...

11. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well I think they are on the boarder of not crossover the boarder of legal catching limits. Their trotlines need to be marked with one name and address and if there is more then say two or three trotlines that have the same name then that person is illegal. Also those people that have their names on the trotlines need to be the ones running the lines. I think it is illegal to run someone else's line. (I know it is unsportsman like to run someone else's line). Also does each person have a fishing license and do they have their catch limits? If this is happening in MO someone might wanna drop a line or phonecall to MO conservation department about this. I do not care if one person is legally running trotlines or jug lines and in the future have a private fishfry but it seems that the way they are doing it, it is illegal and needs to be stopped. Because I want my niece to have the chance to hook into a big kittie and I will try to start taking my cuz fishin this year.

Dave

12. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Very good point Jim
    The problem is there is a loop hole between selling and taking donations.
    These (so called) non profit orginizations can have members legally go catch fish instead of purchasing it.
    Ive found callin the press and writing up a article in the local paper on where these fish came from will put a quick end to it.
    None of them like negitive publicity.

13. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Troy
    The problem,here, is vfw, chruch, fishing groups,, Dont take me wrong, Iam not against these, groups. I sure as hell ant going, against vfw,I might not be here if it wasnt for those boys,
    Topic was, to make, people think, a little . we are better at governering our selfs than being force to.
    common sense is a priceless treasure., egos and greed breeds stupidity. and
    a lot less catfish.
    how abut a shad fry, limit on them is 150, I bet one a summer is a enough.

14. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

are cats not considered game fish in some states?flathead blues and channles are all considered game fish in kansas i geuss i thought it was every where

15. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    No some states like Florida and many others do not consider catfish a game fish. Someday hopefully the catfish will get it's proper dues everywhere and more states will enstate the proper laws to protect them and produce more trophy fish.

16. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    They are considered game fish in Missouri and cant be sold.
    There however is not a law that says you cant take donations and this is where the non-profit orgs. get by with it.....

17. Wally_jr

Wally_jr New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    in texas jugs, only 25 hooks per person, limb lines, trot lines and R/R are not included. catfish are a game fish. but Texas is proud of its wildlife, you cant even sell squirell tails, i mean squirrels are a nuissence here. i like the taste but hate skinnin the things. but i do not like the over worked lakes by commercial fishermen, i think that is what pay lakes are for and stocked ponds. i hate knowing that in the morning that there will be 200 jugs just up the lake from where i get to jug fish once a year. grrr to them!!!

18. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Not wanting to be argumentative Wolfman, but I read page 46 in the Code book to say More than 1 line may be joined together, but the LINE can only have 33 hooks in th aggregate. Don't seem to matter if it's 2 miles long if the hooks are far enuff apart.