Selling bait to bait stores

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by BasalCell, Jan 10, 2008.

1. BasalCell

BasalCell New Member

State:
    Florida
    I don't have a clue where or how to start selling bait to bait stores... this is my first step.

I love to fish as everyone here does and if possible would like to make money doin' so on my own terms or within reason.

I catch alot of shiners and exotics. I was thinking about making a chum out of the exotics and selling it and the live shiners to bait stores, but don't have a clue as to how to go about it.

I realize I'll need a commercial fisherman's license, but that's about it.

Any leads, links, hints, tips about how to go about it would be much appreciated.

2. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC John... I really woudnt know but im sure some one would... But go to a local bait and takle store and talk to them... cause you will have to distribute too... But best of luck to ya

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Yea, get your license and go chat with the local shops. When I lived in Ocala, I know shiners sell big. Clear water and shiners =big bass.

I would use the internet for advertisement.

get a magnetic sign for your truck

I tell ya what if I had a boat that's exactly what I would be doing also. I see tons of bait but just can't reach them.

G'luck and let me know how you do. Any tips you find out to help me would be great also.

-Jim-

4. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Be careful. Minnows have to be a certain type. In Indiana you have to have certifed minnows or something like that I believe. Keeps evasive spieces down.
    Check your laws. DNR would be a place to start.
    Bill

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I checked it out a lot here in MO and talked to a couple of bait shops. Pretty much just consisted of working the phones and stopping by the stores. Not sure on the laws in FL, but I'd be ready to show them your commercial license and understand you'll most likely have to provide them with a receipt showing your license number, etc. If they're on the up and up, they'll want this because if they're checked they'll need to prove they got the bait from a licensed, legal source. Most of the bait shop guys I talked with were very nice and either told me to bring by what I caught or said they weren't interested. Never came to fruition cause I just didn't have the time, but the initial setup part was pretty painless.

6. BasalCell

BasalCell New Member

State:
    Florida
    Sure do appreciate the informative posts. I'm as dumb as a turnip when it comes to this stuff...As I get more legal info I'll put it here.

to be continued...

7. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    You might not need a commercial licence to sell bait,in ohio all you need is a bait dealer license available through the dept of natural resources

8. BasalCell

BasalCell New Member

State:
    Florida

Never thought about that, could be a better way, less expensive way to go...I'll check into that... Thank you.

9. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    I know a certain baitstore that buys skipjacks here in Indiana.They buy em anywhere from 25 to 50 cents a fish.I have never sold any I keep 80% of mine and if someone around me is fishing I toss some their way.

10. BasalCell

BasalCell New Member

State:
    Florida
    I've thought about findin' a place that'll do that. Also thought about sellin' the bait and chum right of the bank or at the docks. Thanks.

11. BasalCell

BasalCell New Member

State:
    Florida
    Time ran out to edit

Well, that'll be a start. Now I reckon' I gotta find a bait store (customer), and find out how they want them/it delivered. And I'll go from there and keep posting here.

It all seems to easy, I'm waitin' fer the bump in the road.

12. BasalCell

BasalCell New Member

State:
    Florida
    Thanks for the tip I did some looking around at the FWC website and found that if i get a RC-Resident commercial fishing license for just $25, i can sell bait.

Here's a link if anyone wants to look http://floridafisheries.com/docum/comreg.html

It's on to contacting the bait stores now, I made a few calls and waiting on the owners to get back in touch with me to see what their requirements are and if i can fill them.

13. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I spend a week or two in Florida during Christmas and I couldn't find bait ANYWHERE! Do bass eat bluegill, cause I could catch a few of them and Crappie? I heard you have to chum for the Shiners. I couldn't find anything (Shad, Shiners, etc...) to throw my net at. (Lake Tohopekaliga)

I did find out that in Florida you may have a cast net or rods on the boat, but not both at one time.

Good Luck

14. BasalCell

BasalCell New Member

State:
    Florida
    Well... I've been contacting bait stores and they keep sayin' that they'll call me back, but it's been over a week and none of them have done so... Hmmm.

Don't have a clue what to do next... It might be on to something else.

I have been fishin' and caught a few small catfish... Walkin' catfish, noisy li'l boogers and weird lookin'. I'm afraid to eat it. They got a long dorsal fin that runs all the way down their back and alot more barbels than your usual cat.

Alright, til next time. "Catch a biggin'"