Sell your squirrel tails

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by TIM HAGAN, Aug 5, 2006.

1. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Mepps is asking NAFC members who also hunt small game to save their squirrel tails this upcoming hunting season and sell them to the company, for use in making in-line spinners.
    Mepps has been buying fox, black and grey squirrel tails for more than three decades, and will pay up to 26 cents each, depending on quality and quantity. The cash value is doubled if the tails are traded for Mepps lures.

"Hundreds of other materials, both natural and synthetic, have been tested," says Jim Martinsen, Mepps spokesman, "but few materials work as well. Mepps is only interested in recycling tails taken from squirrels that have been harvested for the table," Martinsen stresses. "We do not advocate taking squirrels strictly for their tails."

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Sounds like a great deal, thanks for the heads up Tim.

Any particular squirrel?? Fox, Gray??

3. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    I use them to make jigs for panfish.

4. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I had tears welling up in my eyes, when I spotted this thread, and it brought a chuckle. Thanks Tim.

The reason it brought a chuckle was I remembered people years ago flying squirrel tails on the antennas of their cars. Does anyone do this anymore?

There used to be a squirrel in my back yard that was missing 3/4's of a tail. Hope no one purposely cut his tail off.

5. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    They've been doing that since I was in Jr High, thats how I got my beer money!!!

6. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brothers and Sisters;
    Yes, I well remember the days of "Squirrel Tail Antenna 'Flags'".
    I remember seeing as many as a dozen or more on a car antenna!
    When I think of all those tails on all the squirrels I shot, at 26 cents per and twice that if traded in on lures, :waaaht: ... WAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! All that money lost!!!!!!!:too_sad: :cry:
    Oh Well! I can start saving them now!!:hell_boy:
    Gee, all those lures I'll have by next spring!!:haha:
    Now that I have totally :pudency: myself. I think I'll close for now!
    LOL
    Cordially,
    Coyote1
    [[[[End of this Post!]]]]]

7. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    how do you care for the tails from field to shipping so you can take part in this offer?

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Cheryl, I always fly the first one! lol
    While the tale is still wet I put it over the knob of the antenna,then tie below. :cool2:

9. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    put salt on the end where you cut it off then lay it out flat and let it dry. Contact Mepp's and they'll let you know how to handle them also.

10. bigfatcat

bigfatcat New Member

State:
    virginia
    man i just got my new 22 so im gonna be killing them while my dad archery hunts (i can allready see all the money)