Self Setting Circle Hooks : Circle Hook fishing Tips

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by zappaf19, Dec 13, 2005.

1. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I have read where they say circle hooks set themselves. true/false ? If I have my bait in cheese cloth on a circle hook will the hook still set itself?
    I am still learning this skill. More qustion to follow. :confused:
    Bill

2. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Yes they are self setting hooks.

With a circle hook you want the point of the hook to be free and clear. If it's inbeded in the bait it won't be able to set it's self.

Hope that helps.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    dont pick up the rod till it's loaded up..Or at least if you pick the rod up let it bend down hard before doing anything, this will set the hook.

4. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Jack is right. You have to make sure your pole is not set on free spool, this is the most important part of the self setting process! Just wait till you see your pole bow down and the fish will be on there. Once you see it bend down, you can simply pick up the pole and start reeling. Do Not try and set the Hook. This will pull the hook out of the fishes mouth most of the time. Sometimes you will see your line go very loose and gain slack after it bows down, don't worry the catfish is on there but realizes it can't run away so it is coming toward you. Hope this helps. When you start to reel, hold your reel at a 45 degree angle. Good Luck!

P.S.- Make sure you have good rod holders if you are going for fat flatties or you might lose your pole if you are not paying attention. ;)

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    they do work like said. i have been fighting the no set thing and still dont have the restraint. lol, the hook set thing is a hard habit to break brother!

6. Mr. Catfish

Mr. Catfish Member

State:
    Indianapolis, I
    it took me a while to get used to... just wait for the pole to bend over and you got em !

7. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    I still freespool when im using circle hooks for flatheads. Most of the flatheads that I catch are very finicky. When I see the end of my pole bobbing around and bending a little, I can pick it up and almost always feel them mouthing the bait before they start swimming with it. I always wait for them to take off away from me and I close the bail and let the pole start to bend and then start reeling slowly. Now if im fishing for blues with circles I tend to tight line it.

8. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Well if it isn't Mr. Catfish! How's it goin buddy? Do you still have my chicken livers over at your place? You will probably never check this ever again and I'll look stupid posting this. That's alright, you probably ate them anyways. My brother would set his drag kind of tight so it was hard to pull out line and then he would turn on his bait clicker. When he would get a big one, his reel would scream so loud, you could hear it from atleast 100 yards away. The pole would still bend at the beginning though. That's the most important part is the bend!

9. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    i was sold on circle hooks after this year. it was my first year using them and I discovered two things about them:

#1 Yes they do set themsleves and hard. I never have had a cirle pull out once set.

#2 I have only had two swallows out of hundreds of channels all the rest were beautiful sid eof the mouth hooks.

-Brian

10. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
  11. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    from what I read I am going to try them. I can see where not setting the hook could be a tough habit to break.
    Thanks
    Bill :0a31:

12. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I too am a big fan of circle hooks! I leave my rod in free spool with the clicker on, and then pick it up at the first bite and engage spool and wait for rod to load up on the second bite. That way I keep my gear if a big fish takes off with my bait and I am not in arms reach. Circle hooks are also very effective with a bobber for cats and panfish, the bobber sets the hook! The only problem is the small sizes (circle hooks) are hard to find and putting a worm on one is a pain but worth it! One other thing I found is if the fish does swallow a circle hook, my hook needs to be a size bigger.

13. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    If a circle hook has to be free of bait @ the end, I take it my cheese cloth with chicken livers won't work? If it does work how would you keep the bait from slipping down blocking the hook?
    I guess What I mean is what bait is best for a circle hook?
    Bill :confused:

14. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I think your cheese cloth and liver should work fine, just make sure the point sticks out. When I use liver, I tie it on with "magic thread" (elastic thread) without cheese cloth, but you could use it to tie the cheese cloth. You just give it a few wraps and break it off. All the bait shops around here sell it.

15. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    I'll second that tip on the magic thread! The 52lb flathead in my profile pic was caught on a 7/0 circle hook, using garlic salt cured chicken liver wrapped with magic thread. I did have my bait clicker on w/ free spool. The recommendations above regarding the technique required (the lack of a hard set) when using a circle hook are great. A rule of thumb I have followed is: when fishing with live bait for flatheads, do not use the free spool. Although, I generally will turn on my clicker and loosen my drag so that if a big boy hits, my pole will not go with him. Even though i had luck using free spool in the past, after this season I have decided not to use the free spool any longer. My hook up percentage improved greatly after forgetting the free spool. Everyone has their own preference, always be open to new techniques and listen to your heart, it seldom lies.
    P.S. Magic Thread is sold for the purpose of tying spawn sacks for trout fishing, but it works great on livers, shad guts, and I have even used it to wrap wheatie balls when fishing for carp.

16. Jroc777

Jroc777 Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    I just switched to circle hooks this year and I really like them. It is extremely difficult to break the habit of setting the hook but once you get the hang of it circle hooks are great. I have had a much higher bite to hook up ratio using the circle hooks than standard J hooks. I fish almost exclusively with live or cut bait. The key is to make sure you have a big enough hook for the bait you are using. I usually use size 7/0 gamakatsu circles. Don't worry about the hook being to big. I almost always catch a couple of smaller channel cats on the big hooks and cut bait while I'm fishing for flats and blues. As stated above just make sure that the front of the hook is free. Another reason I like the circle hooks is the fact that it is usually a little easier on the fish. I practice catch and release 99% of the time and the circle hooks almost always catch them in the corner of the mouth. With J hooks it is more likely for the fish to swallow the hook and rip half their digestive system out while your reeling them in. Hope this helps.

17. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Thanks to all! I learn so much here! :D I am going to try circle hooks thats for sure!
    Bill :0a22:

18. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    I know that this is sort of a dead thread but has anyone used those Diachi Circle Chunk Light (i think thats what they are called)? Supposedly you can use them as regular circle hooks or can sweep the pole to set the hook i bought a few packs at basspro but haven't used them. I've heard of a few people using them but i always use the Gamakatsu octapus circle hooks.