Self inflating life vests

Discussion in 'Boat Safety' started by adamant, May 16, 2007.

1. adamant

adamant New Member

State:
    new jersey
    Self inflateing life vests
    I do a lot of fishing solo and am always walking on the gunnel because I like to get up high sometimes when fishing sod banks. I've often thought that I should have one of those inflatable vests that self inflate just incase I slip and hit my head and go into the water unconcious. Whats the most comfortable type of vest that you wouldn't mind wearing when it's a bit warm out.

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I have a pair of the SOS suspender's. Been using them for 5 years. Would not go back to a standard vest again.
    At first you can tell one is on. but after getting used to it. You will not know its on.
    Mine is the 32 lb model.
    Pete

3. adamant

adamant New Member

State:
    new jersey
    thanks red for the reply.
    my concern is that it will prematurely inflate due to rain, spray or humidity!

should this be a concern?

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    There is a flap to keep out rain & such. I have heard of one case of premature inflation that was caused by leaving the PFD laying in the bottom of the boat in the rain. Rainwater collected into a puddle, the PFD was in a pool of water, and it did what it was designed to do.
    I've got a pair of the manual type, simply because I couldn't afford the automatic. But, they are extremely comfortable. It's not unusual for me to forget to take them off when I get out of the boat. Get a pair, and there's none of this 'put on your PFD, we're moving' or 'we're here, you can take off your PFD.'

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would like one also, sign me up please.

6. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I would love to have one of those but nobody offers one that will fit my 3X self. I have several friends that have them and they love them. Probably the safest PFD there is simply because people actually wear them.

Cheez

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    John I am about your size and I have used one for several years. I went to the Bass Pro Shops with a friend and tried on several. Finally found one that was comfortable. Its automatic/manual and made by SOS Suspenders. The largest they have listed. I don't have the model no. handy. It's in the boat at present.

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn

You can stand out in rain for hours. Not going to set it off. Or never has mine. The firing pin is up in the vest. It has to have water come up into the vest. Not get wet on the outside.
    The vest is covering the pill that when is wet goes off.
    Mine are 5+ years old. and only went off one time. That was when it was a year old. And needed to be rearmed.
    Yes they tell you to replace the pill each year.
    But I have never had mine go off from rain or spray or anything like that.
    Pete

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Its the 32 lb buoyancy model that is what I have. Mine shows it will fit up to a 52" chest. And that is without going around your arms just your chest.
    Pete