self defense shotgun

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by scooter079, Jul 13, 2008.

1. scooter079

scooter079 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i know it is illegal in ohio to actually saw off a shot gun but does anyone know the actual legal minimum length for one i was thinging about setting up my 870 for my old lady when im out of town

2. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    I used to do federal law inforcement, but that was a few dead braincell ago but I think its 19" total barrel lenght,, not sure about any state numbersbut Ga and FL, followed federal.
    puddle...

3. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    18" and your in a gray area, mosseberg has a legal 18 1/2" If you cut it too short its a felony!

I think if want something that short look at a hand gun!

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Scott,18" is the mim. There are many after market barrels available to trick out your 870,also I believe there are magazine extensions available. at least this way you can keep it legal,some good swat/home defence style stocks out there as well.

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I used to have one of those Mosberg 18 1/2 inchers. Thats what I'd go with. Also, just so you know Mossberg does (or did) makes barrels for 870's. They seemed to be just as well as a Remmington barell only a tank of gas cheaper! :big_smile:

6. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I am in tennessee. I bought a mossberg 24"overall including pistol grip. love it in the house.

7. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    In the United States, it is illegal for a private citizen to possess a sawed-off modern smokeless powder shotgun (a barrel length less than 18 in. or 46 cm and an overall length less than 26 inches) without a tax-stamped permit from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, which requires an extensive background check and a $200.00 fee for every transfer. (Short-barreled blackpowder shotguns, in contrast, are not illegal, by federal law, and require no tax-stamped permit, although they may be illegal under state law.) A new tax stamp must be purchased with every transfer of a modern smokeless powder short-barrelled shotgun, and transfers must be made through a Class III Federal Firearms Licensed (FFL) dealer. (See National Firearms Act.)

I would say the 24" overall is an SBS without the stamp it is probably illegal but I know you miss-typed the 24" and meant 26"

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    My 870 special purpose came with a 21" barrel. This is from the receiver to the tip of the barrel. With an imp. cylinder choke it's wicked up close.

9. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    cabelas has short barrel for 870 delivered to ur door in 2 days :big_smile: :cool2:

10. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    it will be listed under mossberg + 870 barrels

11. Sammie

Sammie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Nice choice.

12. Sammie

Sammie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Two days? I'm on their site right now! Thanks for the info.

13. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Here is the gun she needs, Scott:wink:

14. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    ya use credit card or pay pal thy are very fast at shipping to here anyhow :big_smile: iv got boat stuff and cooking stuff that fast :cool2:

15. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    That's how the whole Ruby Ridge fiasco started. The Feds conned Randy Weaver into shortening a shotgun less than the legal limit. Then it just went bad from there.

16. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I have an old double barreled 12 gauge (twin hammers) that I cut the barrel to 12 inches and sawed the stock off to make it a pistol type grip. Loaded with # 7 1/2 low base quail loads it will throw a 3 foot pattern at about 12 to 15 feet. If someone comes thru my bedroom door he will be blind before he gets to me or my wife. The gun is on brackets right above my bed. No, we don't have kids or grandkids young enough to get the gun and play with it....And yes, .38 specials are clipped to the side boards(both sides) of the bed for follow up. My wife was a nationally ranked quick draw gunner a few years back so she knows how to use them !!!

17. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
  18. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Dang salt and pepper. :roll_eyes:

19. scooter079

scooter079 New Member

State:
    ohio

Yeah well i showed her the video and she was not to hip on it but i think ill have to get one for my self :smile2:

20. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Awesome, I'd love to have one. Must be expensive. Thanks for the video.