Self defense: Do speedloaders make sense?

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by thunderchicken, Aug 22, 2009.

1. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I have been thinking of getting a speedloader for my 5 shot .38 cal Rossi snubby. Thing is I use it for self defense when I am out in the boonies fishing and I remember that most experts will tell you that in a self defense situation the most important part of the fight is the first shot. That being so, if after the first shot the winner hasn't been decided and you still can shoot, you have from 4 to 5 more rounds. At that point my question is, how likely is it you will need additional rounds to make it logical to carry a speedloader? In my truck carry space is not important as long as I know where my speedloader is at all times but in a concealed carry situation they can be additional bulk and weight. What do you think?

:cool2:

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Unless you are old school law enforcement, Transpo Security, Security contractor, or engage in a high risk lifestyle, the chances of an average American going about his daily life being engaged in a fire fight would be rare.

More chances getting choked on a pixie stick. Very few people have actually seen somebody shooting at somebody other than TV. Even fewer been shot at. Even fewer been aimed at.

If you need high capacity for peace of mind, drop the revolver.

I like a revolver myself, I use the same brand as you for a lay around weapon at the house.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009

3. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Being able to reload efficiently, is most important for policemen, and competitors. Chances are, by the time one would shoot a cylinder of ammo, in a defensive situation the fight would be over. On the other hand having more ammo can't hurt. I'd opt to carry one or two, especially out in more rural areas. I'm getting to old to run, so my only defense would be to continue to shoot. If you do opt to carry loaders, buy a good holster for them, it makes the carry MUCH more comfortable, and you can access them when needed. I would also recommend using ammo that has rounded bullets, they make reloading much easier. Remember to practice, practice, and practice. Making a reliable reload in a life threatening situation can be difficult! With any luck, you will never have a reason to use them, unfortunately, we never know.

4. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Gotta go with Paul.

If you are need a speedloader you are probably somewhere you should not be, with someone you should not be with, doing something you ought not be doing.

And in that case, you might not want a wheel gun anyway. Unless of course, leaving evidence is a concern.:wink:

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    i would rather have them and not need them know what i mean?as far as needing it cause your somewhere you shouldnt be i would have to strongly disagree with that.sometimes trouble finds you,you could be anywhere you never know.But i think it would be ok to take fishing or into the woods but for carry purposes carrying speed loaders would be to bulky and to hard to conceal i would think.

6. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "sometimes trouble finds you,"

To the point of an actual running gun fight?
    Not very likely unless you are a "player" of some sort, and most times, not even then. BT,DT.:wink:

But hey, if it makes you FEEL better, it does no harm.
    Spend the cash, the folks that make those things have kids to feed too.

7. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    I worked in corrections for 5 years as an officer and my service revolver was a .38 python and I did use speedloaders why because my enviroment called for it on outside detail work or yard call I had to protect the prisoners from themselves each other. The public from the prisoners and myself from the public and the prisoners.So unless you are fishing somewhere that you need a speed loader you are a brave fisherman my friend reps to you:wink:

8. Angler4life

Angler4life New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Lol, some might say if you need more than five shots, you need some practice. You are in a better situation than I am because I don't carry a gun with me anyway, so at least you have one. I would have to say that a speed loader would not be necessary. If you want to keep one in your truck, that would be okay, but I definitely wouldn't take it fishing with me.

9. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    agreed i go with a small pocket gun when i go because my favorite fishing spot happens to be a place where people like to sometimes deal drugs... 380 Colt Mustang plus 2 to be exact. I keep a spare clip in my pocket all chock full of hollow points. My girl once asked me why i carry the extra clip. Im not sure myself because if 7 shots cant handle it than the next would probably be to keep the problem at bay while i get the heck out of there.Ive said this before in another post but I will never be run out of my neck of the woods by some junkie or some 2bit drug dealer.

10. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    ive thought about taking my Ruger 357 blackhawk due to my latest encounter with a junkie but as funny as it would be to see someone crap their pants, the thing is just too big. And Im not a cowboy im a fisherman

11. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I live very close to the Mexican border and although I don't go near the worse areas here, when you go out in the outlying areas to hunt and fish you always run into possible contact with smugglers, druggies, and illegal aliens. While not all of them may be interested in you and would just like to be left alone, sometimes they may want or need your vehicle, cash, or don't want any passerby witnesses either. While I don't go looking for trouble I'm not looking to become a victim either and have decided that I'm not going to be unarmed or stay home because it's too dangerous. I like to fish and am going to enjoy our resources as much as I can.

:cool2:

12. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    It is amazing to me that there are so many no-it-all people out there trying to make you into the bad guy, because you area of the world that has some bad people out in the woods! And in town for that matter. I never fish the lower Colorado unarmed; and it is not because I'm looking for a fight. When I was a kid, my parents would had me some bait and a rod and say "go have fun, see you at dark". Now, and I'm over 50, my dad asks me if I remembered my pistol. The world is different in 2009, than 1970. Guys like Danzig and JOETHECATKING have no clue to your situation.

13. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "It is amazing to me that there are so many no-it-all people out there trying to make you into the bad guy, because you area of the world that has some bad people out in the woods! "

Are we reading the same thread?? How in the world did you get that from what we posted?:confused2:

TC, if it is that hairy where your go, I would carry something a little more potent and quick than a 38 wheel gun.

14. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    Are we reading the same thread?? How in the world did you get that from what we posted?:confused2:

agreed once again I am having trouble understanding why my name was called out Danzig in my opinion made a little joke and i agreed that a wheel gun might not do the trick if you think that you will need to reload. I FULLY AGREE that a little peace of mind from a peacemaker can go a long way. I was just saying that I wouldnt carry a wheel gun if i thought i would need more than 6 shots

15. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Joe I just read this thread and I don't have a clue either. But here's my take on what you asked. Speed loaders are slow to use and take allot of practice. I own several wheel guns but don't carry them for self defense. Here in Missouri we have the right to CCW. My personal carry weapons are a H&K p7 and a Kimber Ultra CDP. A magazine is much easier than a speed loader. However I agree with Paul on one thing, the need for a speedloader or a spare Mag is highly unlikely is a self defense scenario.

16. JUG_LINE

JUG_LINE New Member

State:
    NE Oklahoma
    I have used speed loaders and they once served a purpose. Now they are really outdated and more novelty than performance. Speed loaders are not easy to carry without duty belts and gear. If you throw them in your pocket they probably would not be ready when you need them.

Semi autos however are very compact and typically hold about twice as many rounds as a wheel gun. Spare clips can easily be carried in your pockets and retrieved easily. Due their compact size and light weight they make a perfect self defence weapon.

17. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    This statement implies that Thunderchicken is the bad guy. He is not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Oh Pleeze,,,,:roll_eyes:

19. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    I love it when Danzig gets in trouble..

Wish I had the popcorn image... :crazy:

Me good boy, Danzig bad boy... :smile2:

20. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    ??????????????????? I simply don't understand this response.