Seine Net instead of Cast Net

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Team Ooops Stanky, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Team Ooops Stanky

Team Ooops Stanky New Member

Anybody ever use a seine net instead of a cast net for catching bait in a river?
    When I surf fish (not often) I can bring along a 30ft. seine net and in < three minutes have all the bait I need. But I've never tried it in the tidal rivers around here (lowcountry SC).
    I'm scared to rip/tear it (I've lost/trashed 2 cast nets already this year) on the standard river debris, not to mention there's gators everywhere, but it sure would be nice to use...
    So for those times when I'm in a hurry or having trouble locating/catching them with a cast net, does anybody have any tips or practical advice on the best way to use a seine net in a river based on personal experience?

Thanks.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I don't know what part of the lowcountry you're in, but if you are having problems finding bait, and tearing up cast nets when you do, then I don't see where a seine will help much. If there is something to hang a cast net, it will likely do the same to a seine, won't it? What kind of bait are you after?
    As far as the gators, I treat them with respect, but I don't fear them. If they are laying on the bank, I would not want to get in the water with a seine, would look for another area. A small gator (<6') usually isn't much of a threat, but I don't take their word for it.
    If you are near the ICW and salt water, you can catch all the mullet and menhaden you want right now, and they are excellent bait. If you are after freshwater bait, I would suggest maybe finding an area that is clear of debris and put out some chum-type bait (dog food, etc) to attract baitfish. A few years back, when I was in the river several times weekly, I would put a dead garfish, or whatever was convenient, in low-hanging limbs, and could always count on catching bream in that area, as long as the maggots were there.
    Stanky, I see you are new here and I welcome you to the BOC. We're from the same state, but it is nice to see at least a first name and home state/town on a post. When you can, please go back to 'user cp' and update some info, at your discretion. There are lots of great people here and tons of info. If you like catfishing, I know you will like it here.
    Good Fishing!

3. Team Ooops Stanky

Team Ooops Stanky New Member

BW-
    Thanks for replying. To clear it up a bit:

>"If there is something to hang a cast net, it will likely do the same to a seine, won't it?"

Exactly. In other words, my seine net is a whole lot bigger and hence prone to catching on obstructions than my cast net, so I'm wondering if anyone has any techniques they use to minimize this... I know that back in Old Testament times and some more primitive tribes today, for the 40+ man seines, there's actually a designated "dive down and get it out the way or lift the weights over" person. Obviously, I'd like to avoid this job title, and I don't think I'd have much luck convincing my son on it either...

>"What kind of bait are you after?"

Whatever bait fish that are in the area I'm fishing. I like mullet b/c it's so oily, but depending on what I catch, I sometimes use shad.

>"I treat them with respect, but I don't fear them. If they are laying on the bank, I would not want to get in the water with a seine"

It's not the ones sunning on the banks that truly concern me.

>"If you are near the ICW and salt water, you can catch all the mullet and menhaden you want right now, and they are excellent bait"

It's brackish where I fish...I prefer to catch my bait when/where I'm fishing, so I don't have to transport it, etc.

Just thought I'd clarify for anybody else who might have tips to offer. Thanks for your advice and the welcome blackwater.

4. Tarpon

Tarpon New Member

do you have floats along the top of your net? I see fellas around here with big cigar floats on top. Seems like it'd keep your net from dragging too close to the bottom and snagging on stuff.