seen one of these abu's before?

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by drpepper, Jun 12, 2008.

1. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Just wondered it was my grandfathers reel I've just never seen a green one...

Attached Files:

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Sure have, good reel too, a little cleaning inside and out it will be great for the grandson too! Also have a 5000 that is in green....... and one like yours the 5000D, Oh, one other note, you can get a star wheel to fit the drag also if you ever decide to go that route, but keep the thumb roll for the originality of it.

3. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I'm also the proud owner of one too. Ambassadeur 5000D. in green. My wife's grandfather was the previous owner and she gave it to me to display. Nice reel and is in great shape. I'll never use it, because of the sentimental value of it. Should be a great collectors item. Not sure on the value of it.

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I can understand that, but I do have to take "pop" out once or twice a year :wink: Just didn't seem right to let it set on the shelf all the time, so one day just put it on a rod and went fishing...... I'd bet there are a few of them around that are just collecting dust...

5. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    thanks guys, that didnt take long and I wondered about the star wheel and if I should use it or not.. I'm thinking my grandfather would love for me to get my PB on his reel.

6. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    The most unique feature of your reel is the bait clicker. The 5000D is the only 5000 series to come with one. Doug

7. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    All the time I had this reel I never noticed that and now I don't know why!... when I got your post I was confused... got up, looked at it,, and I'll be dang, it does have a clicker!!! lol, thats cool!!! thanks Douglas for pointing that out... ha!

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i have an old red 5000 with duel spool adjusters. its 1950's. works like a new one. caught a 12 lb channel on it two years ago.

it appears to have no clicker. but when ya back drag off all the way the spool clicks when line is drawn off.

i love using it. like a peice of history fishing with me.:wink:

9. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    I have one that my father an law gave to me.

10. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    I have one of the 5000 D's that I bought back around 1970, I changed out the gearing as an experiment, put hi-speed gears in. Still works like a champ. Only drawback is the line capacity, but it still makes it into the boat now and then.

11. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    were are all the 5000 D's green? can anyone tell what year it is? do they still make a "D"?

12. Ken D

Ken D New Member

State:
    B.C. (CAD)
    Hio !! The D model, D standing for direct drive, was produced last, in about 1981, as model DA, with the palming style LH plate.
    It was red. Earlier models had the square side plate with the second end cap.

Over time, variations were champagne gold, (very rare, and in mint shape about 500-700.00, maybe more) teal blue, another vary rare red-orange, and standard green.

There was a 5000, and a 5500 version offered at one time-point or the other.

Direct drive was a request of the USA bass angling fraternity, to help horse Mr. Big out of cover. That's why there is no star. Only the thumb-wheel.

Hope this helps.

Best, KD

13. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Wow ken, that is great info... thank you it does help! and welcome to the boc ken!

14. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    THE 5000D DOESNT HAVE A DRAG IT DIRECT DRIVE THE HANDLE WILL ALWAYS TURN IF A FISH PULLS ON IT

15. Ken D

Ken D New Member

State:
    B.C. (CAD)
    And as I posted above: "The D model, D standing for __direct drive__, was produced last, in about 1981, as model DA, with the palming style LH plate"

There is a sort of drag, controlled by the thumbwheel. Otherwise, if you let go of the handles, with a fish running off, you would backlash the reel pretty much every time. Or burn a giant blister on one or both thumbs.

There is an anti-reverse ratchet, to stop the driveshaft from spinning out of control, and one "old school" phenolic type drag washer between the main gear and the driveshaft. Torque right down on the thumbwheel, and there's drag. Direct drive drag.

These reels are a hoot to fish. I have one mint in box, and several fishers. They refuse to die... they keep right on ticking. Just as well ! To replace a green frame, it's 60 bucks, compared to a standard period red or chrome frame for about 20.

16. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
  17. Ken D

Ken D New Member

State:
    B.C. (CAD)
    Hio, D/Pepper... No thoughts except the sharing of information. I've been really lucky over the past 15 plus years, to "chat it up" with the fine folks at Purefishing, (special thanks to Bob, and Julie) other Abu reel nuts, several repair shops, a couple of reel collectors.

(As mentioned in my opener a few days back, I help Mike with his forum at Mike's Reel Repair. I see folks here link to his schematic collection now and then.)

Add to that the hours and hours ( and MORE hours) poring over schematics, part numbers, and model numbers, to formulate questions to pose, procedures to follow, and for me: most important: *interchange* !!~!!.

Being semi-retired, and living in a cold climate gives the chance to do the above.

I decided to work mostly with Ambassadeur, because, for the common round reels, the parts chain is still quite open even if the reel is thirty years on.

I just tuned up a 7000 red reel, produced back in the mid 70's ! Part are still available. kewl.

For some exceptional pieces, folks may want to take a look at Don Iovino's operation, and Jerry Foran's deal.

I see in other folks' posts, links are allowed, so here they are:

http://www.iovino.com/reels.html

http://hookless.com/

Best regards, KD

PS: there's another reel nut out there with posts all over the reel map, from Penn, to newell, to Abu, to Shimano. Search Alan Tani on your favourite engine. kd