The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello members, seeking some advice on rod choice.

I am pretty new to cat fishing but wanted decent rods from the start. I currently have uglystik catfish but wanted something that can handle various situation and waters. After long hours of research, I am leaning toward slime cat vs big cat fever

I will be 100% bank fishing, mostly around potomac near d.c and maryland. While I am not necessarily chasing big fish, I think I need to throw 4~8 oz due to current. But then I want to avoid getting too much rod for what I am doing. So I ve narrowed down to 2 models and wanted more info on each before making decision

1) BCF 7.6 MH 1 piece rod, 1-10 oz
2) Slime cat 8.6 XMH 2 piece rod, 2-15 oz

Now my questions are,
  • Is slime cat too heavy power for all purpose rod? I dont think I will ever throw 15 oz...
  • I heard composite rod is lighter, and may have longer casting distance than pure glass. How true is this?
  • Which one would you choose if you were bank fishing?

Appreciate any input!

·
Banned
79 Posts
BnM Silver Cat Magnums are the answer to your question

If shore bound, then look at the 10'-0 versions....that will help reaching out. They are good for the 6 to 8 ounce range and a pleasure to fish with

The new versions are coming out and I gotta say....I don't like the new handles.

Get a cord wrapped handle while you can.....

As far as casting distance, it comes down to the storing and releasing of energy

Graphite is the best at that. A graphite rod will always outcast a fiberglass or composite rig...why? Because graphite can store more energy and release it faster than fiberglass or composites...period...fact...end of story.

Graphites have problems though....they are fragile. Much easier to snap the tip off a graphite rod than it is a fiberglass or composite rod

A good composite is the best equal ground all around

Silver cat magnums are 10% graphite....or they were with my models

They are heavy but they are responsive....a good stick

If distance is your thing then look at long range surf casting

It helps to build a foundation

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BnM Silver Cat Magnums are the answer to your question

If shore bound, then look at the 10'-0 versions....that will help reaching out. They are good for the 6 to 8 ounce range and a pleasure to fish with

The new versions are coming out and I gotta say....I don't like the new handles.

Get a cord wrapped handle while you can.....

As far as casting distance, it comes down to the storing and releasing of energy

Graphite is the best at that. A graphite rod will always outcast a fiberglass or composite rig...why? Because graphite can store more energy and release it faster than fiberglass or composites...period...fact...end of story.

Graphites have problems though....they are fragile. Much easier to snap the tip off a graphite rod than it is a fiberglass or composite rod

A good composite is the best equal ground all around

Silver cat magnums are 10% graphite....or they were with my models

They are heavy but they are responsive....a good stick

If distance is your thing then look at long range surf casting

It helps to build a foundation
Thank you so much for detailed answer!

I looked at BnM website, but some are out of stock and weight rating was not clear so I was hesitant. Will definitely check 10 ft model!

·
Registered
Dave from ohio
875 Posts
Since you are fishing from bank, you will probably want to go with longer rods. That slimecat rod should do fine.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thank you so much for detailed answer!

I looked at BnM website, but some are out of stock and weight rating was not clear so I was hesitant. Will definitely check 10 ft model!
BnM doesn't post weight ratings, but they told me the Magnums have a max of 12 to 16 oz casting weight.
Greg

Reactions: hahmmo
1 - 10 of 10 Posts