SEEKER SU90 SURF

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Flamekeeper, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    This is the next one ,,got the cap on and the rear handle and set it aside for awhile, came back and installed the reel seat and noticed a bubble in the hypalon:crazy:,its in the handle itself,I know its glued down,,it feels like it separated or something,, Any rod builders here have any suggestions on how to take care of this problem?.or have experienced anything like this??.
    Pic's shown

Thanks ahead of time.

Attached Files:

2. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    Flamekeeper

I have been drooling over a couple Seeker blanks, the super seeker and black steel...one of these days. Just got the Kirkmam book and ordered the Dvd you recommended.

Sorry can't help with the grip though, hopefully one of the builder/sponsor's will give some advise.

3. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I'm going to post this one up as I build it ,,So all can see how, and what it takes to build a rod..Might miss some shots of some things but I'll explain as I go..

These First 3 are of the roughening of the Butt section of the Blank for the installation of the Butt cap, rear grip and for-grip..the But cap and rear grip you have already seen.

You roughen the blank with a hacksaw blade or something similar, scratch it up pretty good ,but do not go up the blank past the fore grip, or you will see some nasty looking stuff.lol...First you slide your butt cap on the blank and mark where your butt cap edge will be ( back from the edge a 1/8")with 1/4" masking tape. Mix rod bond adhesive 50/50 as directed and apply to rod ( above the tape marking the butt cap )and inside of handle until it shines good inside showing good coverage, then slide into place down to the tape.. cure.

Mark the ROD at the top of reel seat and start at the rear of the seat about 1/4" away from rear handle apply 1/2" masking tape , spinning the rod until the tape builds up so that the reel seat fits snugly over top, then go to the front of the seat and do the same thing 1/4" back.
    Once you have done that it has centered the seat on blank.Then in between about 1/4" apart do the same thing with the tape. You have now built yourself a arbor for your seat to be glued too. Mix epoxy 50/50 as directed and slide your seat down to the tape and apply epoxy with a plastic butter knife, filling up the Gaps as you slide your seat down into position down to the rear handle.Snug...Let Cure..

Then apply for-grip as the rear,and winding check if needed..

Attached Files:

4. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    You have seen the air bubble in the rear handle,,I took a meat flavor injector and mixed up a couple of CC of rod bond and shot it and put a ace bandage over it overnight and it took care of that proplem .LOL..:wink:

Then I started my Butt-wrap which is going to be the full 2' buttsection of the Blank .Is a tiger wrap,,first set of threads red metallic and black metallic. as you can see in the next couple sets of Pics', Its on the drier now. Be finishing up the butt wrap and wrapping tigers for all the guides also on this blank this week sometime. Be posting Pic's AS I go..

First stripper guide will be placed 271/2" from the center of reel seat,,Which will be ( 8 )Alps Tico Guides XTCXNZG
    size #30,25.20,16,12,10,10 and 10/10 tip top.. Reason being for the bigger tip was that I cut the 9' blank down to 8'6", modified it for alot better/faster tip action on the blank...

Attached Files:

5. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Tiger-Wrap being Applied

Attached Files:

6. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Buttwrap Tiger on the drier,,

Now its the waiting game:roll_eyes: ( boring )need to build me a drier setup that will hold abot 4 rods at a time,,Its on the List..LOL..
    Be posting some soon of the next phase of the building of a

Modified SU90 SEEKER SURF ROD Blank...FlameKeeper Rods

Attached Files:

7. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    Looks good!!

What your opinion on a hand wrapper VS a power wrapper?

8. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Well if your gong to be building alot of rods,10 plus a year..You might consider one ,ATC PowerWrapper Combo kit comes with drier,It speeds the thread wrapping up,But you still have to stop for the inlays and the like ETC... I like doing it by hand now to let everything sink in as I go,,I take my time anyways,so it's not a big deal yet..

But soon ( this Spring ) I will invest in one because I'll be building quite a few more for sure.

Lord willing.. :big_smile:

9. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    I think I'll start with the hand wrapper and go from there, seems like the smart thing to do. Just like with every other hobbie of mine, start out small.

10. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Kenny, that is some awesome rod building! Maybe you should start selling rods! Enjoyed the pic's, thanks!:cool2:

11. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    how much space does making a rod take up and are the odors real bad from the products i live in an apt

12. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Cajun,, Yes Bro, I run my own small Construction Co, and I decided to expand into Custom Rods( FLAME KEEPER RODS )At night when I'm not reading the Lords Word,I am most likely sitting at my desk ,building a Rod. As soon as I get done with this Seeker, I'll be building 15- 8' 6" mega mags/ Mega Hvy Blanks straight,and They are for sell. Which can be cut to 8'..they will sling 1/2# easy..
    These first 15 blanks are GUSA B85 Blanks, one of the best blanks out there,as you heard me talking about in other posts on the rods I've built.
    And they will be built custom order,and are in the High End class of Custom Rods,from the tip to the butt,,nothing but top grade components with lifetime guarantee on all components,as well as the craftsmanship,all will have Full under-wraps with 3 inlays and over wraps with inlays or bands or both,Colored coordinated to guides/reel/handles etc...As I build them,No two will be alike, unless special ordered..

whodaman,,,,, how much space does making a rod take up and are the odors real bad from the products i live in an apt

I'm set up right now at my desk 4x9 area, but my desk is only 4' long and the rod just extends out lol.,,I'll be moving into a room being remodeled for my rod building business and everything will have its own place,,,makes things alot easier and time sufficient,,,Odors no problem...:wink:

13. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks Kenny! By the looks of things, you should do real well! Those are some first class rods you make! I'll be keep my eye on them!:cool2:

14. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    its lookin mighty good !!!

15. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    2' Tiger-Wrapped butt section continued.

The # 1 pic, shows the first Main thread( rose metallic size A )that will make the band wrap to start the second set of threads that will now go over the completed first set in the earlier photo's..Just the opposite direction of the first 2,,first set went on left to right ,these go on from right to left..

# 2,pic,,shows the adding of the second ( pull-out ) thread and will continue on with the wrap..as you can see in pic # 3..If you look real close at #3 you can see a pattern forming already.:wink:

Attached Files:

16. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    #4 pic, Shows the completed second run of threads...Now what you do when you get to the end, drop the second pull-out thread, Which can be any color, as long as its the same size( A )FOR ALL TIGER WRAPS,first and second set of threads,It makes a sharper image)).At the same distance and continue on with the rose Band to mirror the other end of your wrap.

Once you have that complete ,take a hair drier and warm the threads up pretty good ( not hot ) and then let set for about a hour.this sets the thread in the First flex-coat finish to make the illusion of a 3D effect for the tiger-wrap...Come back and unwind the pull-out thread you dropped at the end, and remove, pulling straight out, spinning your rod and go to the end and just pull the tag end out from under the band.as you see in pic # 5 # 6.. AS you can see that the tiger wrap is already visible.:cool2:

Attached Files:

17. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    # 7 Is the first of 2 or 3 coats of finish
    Now its time to put another coat of finish on,,Mix 50/50 flex-coat light build/ 10cc with 5-6 drops of acetone until all marbling is gone from mixture,quickly heat the threads up with drier( which will help release small air bubbles )and apply flex coat.(.I use a 1/2" shader Art brush),, as you turn your rod,,

Its best to spin your rod and apply as to side to side action to minimize air in finish..Move quickly to get it on and then level it out with long strokes from end to end,,once it looks good to you, Flame it ( WARM , NOT HOT )by running a bic lighter about 1 1/2"-2" below it at a steady pace ( do not stop the flame) this will thin the finish and release any small bubbles that are trapped in the finish,,

Make sure you keep it rotating or you will see it start to sag,,When you see that, you can take a ink pen tube and blow Thur it onto the finish as you are heating it and smooth the sagging area out, by brushing from side to side leveling,, You will have around 15 min play time,maybe more,give or take a few..But you can do it!...

Luke 1:37.:wink:

Attached Files:

18. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Well now we are working on the top half of the rod, Under-wraps....etc...

This Seeker 2pc,surf rod is one bad STICK,,Somebody is going to have alot of fun pulling on this..

The 1st,pic, Is the Alps tip-top#10/10 along with the 3/8" red metallic band, then the first run of threads of the extended tiger-wrap that goes down to the first guide band, and then again the red metallic and black metallic tiger under-wrap, and then the opposite band..

#2 Pic, Is showing 3 guide tiger under-wraps and tip.

#3 pic, Shows the male Ferrule wrap that continues up to and extends to complete the # 25 guide under-wraps, along with the rest of the top.Which contains 6 under-wraps for the custom tiger-wraps for the guides and the extended tiger-wraps for the tip and the male ferrule wrap..

this rod is shaping up..Still haven't got my colors picked out for the over-wraps yet..But I've got a few in mind..lol..

Attached Files:

19. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    #4 pic ,here shows a cose-up of the ferrule tiger-wrap that extends up to the # 25 guide. I got the second coat of flex coat on all the under-wraps ,so I'll be doing the second set of threads tomorrow night.:wink:

#5 shows just how much room I have as a work-shop right now..LOL:smile2:

But it gets the job done,its my work shop for now..

Tight lines to ya,

Is there a way I can get this threads name changed to, The building of a SEEKER SU 90, SURF ROD BLANK..?:wink:

Attached Files:

20. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Heres a couple of Pics of the diamond weave over the tiger-wrap:big_smile:

Attached Files: