Seeing your fishing rod in the dark....

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jlingle, Aug 28, 2006.

1. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I don't know how many of you guys know this, but my buddy Bray (Wood18) and I got this tip from a fella we saw fishing at our local lake, and it helps a ton!!!!

This fella had taken some 2" reflective tape and put it on the end of his fishing rods so that they would showup well with a flashlight or lantern at night. Honestly, it works unbelievably well. I bought the white reflective tape at my local farm & ranch store, and it came in 2" strips that were 2 feet long. I just cut about 7 or 8 pieces that were 2"X1" and wrapped them around my fishing pole. I put 7 or 8 pieces on each pole so that I can see the top 2 feet or so of the rod well in the dark.

I would post some pictures but my digital camera is on the fritz. Curses. Anyway, I'd tried the glow in the dark paint & all kinds of other tricks to see my rod tips better at night, and this blows them all away. Cheap too. Each 2 foot section of reflective tape cost me $3.50, and for $7 bucks I did all my fishing rods.

Thought I'd share this.

Jerrod

2. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I've seen a few guys do that trick,had been thinking of doing that myself considering the cost of glowsticks now a days

3. Wildchilde01

Wildchilde01 New Member

State:
    Texas
    No lie there glowsticks and the little battery lights can eat a whole in your tacklebox these days.

I still use the little battery lights though, problem is getting them to start working, then stop working, and then later getting the darn things to start again. They short out to much.

4. critter68

critter68 New Member

State:
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Actually I use the little (1 inch) glow sticks. I tape the sleeves on, then each trip I just put new lights in. Works great!

5. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Jarrod you da man My grandfather did that and I forgot how wel that worked. Duh man some reps for postin that

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont need to see my rods when using baitclickers, when usuing circle hooks I tape a night stick on the end of the rod.

7. bigmike

bigmike New Member

State:
    Kankakee,Illinois
    I have always used the small 1" glow stick on my rod tips but that there is a good idea I had never heard of before, thanks for the tip.

8. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Another idea that works decently is to buy some glow in the dark tape/paint. Paint the tip or put the tape on it. Bring alittle flashlight and every 10 minutes shine it on the paint. It will stay visible for about 10 minutes at a time. Not the most effecient way of doing things, but it works.

9. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Myself I just clip A Red/White Bobber on one of the eyelets close to the end of pole. Works pretty well and doesn't get in the way either. can reel in without taking off.That orget one of the glow in the dark Bobbers.

10. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I too use the reflective tape. I cut it into one inch pieces and have them on both sides of each eye on the first four eyes of each rod. Works really well, have tried several different ways, but I bought a LED flashlight that has a red LED in it and the tape glows like you have flouresant line and a blacklight. Works really good.

11. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Take some of that left over tape and put a piece around everything you take fishing with you at night. Makes it much eaiser to find when you drop it. When you break cam just shine a strong light around and you can see if you forgot something.

12. WOOD18

WOOD18 New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    I Just Have To Give Some Props To My Bells That I Use As Well. If You Nod Off It Will Wake You Up. But As Far As The Tape, It Works Amazing. I Bought The Red Reflective Tape And Use A Red Light. The Light Doesn't Attract The Bugs Like A Regular Light.

13. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I use a glowstick bracelet (thans Gene) and put it around the end of my rod between the guides and under the line. According to Clarence and Jason, these can be used as navigation light LOL! With these there are no batteries, they last all night, they are cheap, and I don't have to carry a lantern (extra stuff, flathead supposedly don't like light, no bugs, I just use my led headlamp)

14. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Great tips.

I also go with the glowsticks myself. $15.50 for 100 8" Glowsticks, man you just cant go wrong!!! Last all night and brightest I have ever seen.

Get some of those Glowsticks from Maine-Wolf products!!!

15. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    i got the white ugly sticks just put a lantern down beside them and you can see the whole pole no problem.no paint tape glowsticks or anything just make sure your lantern is ready to go

16. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I take Main-Wolf 8" glowsticks lay it along my rod right up to the tip and take black electricians tape and put a small piece of tape at both ends of the glow stick around the rod. Lasts all night and bends with the rod and if you can't see it you shouldn't be out fishing at night as your blind. lol We use them off our dock at night when we could just turn on the lights they work so good.

17. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    I used the the tape also, works real good. Just ordered some glow in the dark paint on ebay. Didn't have a chance to try yet, it is said to glow much longer than the glow tape I have.

18. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    What we all need is some of that radioactive stuff they used to put on the hands of watches, maybe a pint or two each.:big_smile:

19. boozer

boozer New Member

State:
    kansas
    i bought an 8 foot berkley glow stik it takes 3 aaa batteries,turn it on for a few minutes stays glowing all night.i havent caught anything to big on it yet,the biggest one is on my picture and it held good so far.

20. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    good tip man. thank you. i have white poles so i use a lantern. so i can see pretty well.