Seeds

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by boswifedeb, Feb 3, 2009.

1. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Well, the old man went out last night and bought some seeds and a greenhouse starter for the garden. We've decided to do tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapenos, radishes, pole beans, squash and cucumbers. Oh, and okra and corn. Can't forget that. The tomatoes and pepper plants will get bought closer to time.

What are y'all planting this year?

2. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If I listed all the stuff I'm planting,, it would take too long. I am planting 2 variety's sweet corn, 2 variety's of field corn and Indian corn.

4 variety's of beans ,, 2 bush and 2 pole.

5 or 6 kinds of watermelons, 4 kinds of pumpkins,, 5 variety's of squash, at least 30 pounds of seed potato's,, 3 or 4 variety's.

Along with carrots, beets, radishes, cabbage, dill, turnips[end of July], assorted gourds, pickles,,,,, just lots of stuff.

I have all my seed in,, I ordered from HPS { commercial grower catalog} and Shumway Seeds. All tolled, I have spent about 300 on seed, I will not need some seed for several years as HPS only sells beans,corn in minimum 5 pound bags. Example Top Crop green been is about 1.75 a pound in a 5 pound quanity,,,Cherokee Yellow bean 1.45 in 5 pound bag. I'll get 5 pounds of seed for just a little more than a 1 pound package elsewhere.

The highest priced seed is that darn sweet corn,, NK-199 7.99 a pound and Incredible was 11.95 a pound. Hybrid field corn seed is high too.

I still need to get the seed potato's, onion sets, and all my tomato and pepper plants,, I will get from local market in May.

I still need to order a few 100' rolls of plastic for my melons.. I'm trying something different with them,,, like the commercial growers. I'm not sure how the irrigate melons on black plastic. I bought about 13 50' lengths of soaker hose,,, Menard's had it 4.99 a roll,, end of season. lol Between my nephew and me,,, we bought it all. lol

I plan on putting that soaker hose under the plastic at planting,,, then just hit the water when it needs it.

You have to understand,, a lot of this food will head for the food bank when it's ripe. I don't need to can and freeze all this,,,,,, heck there is just me and the wife.

I truely enjoy a big garden,,, if one has the right set up,,, it is not too much work. it's more work picking it than weeding and cultivating it.

3. boswifedeb

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Phew!!! You're making me tired just reading! If you get bored with your garden, feel free to come down and help us out. We need all of it that we can get!:crazy:

4. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I will second that, I think his garden went past a hobbie garden a paragraph ago:eek:oooh:

5. boswifedeb

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Maybe he needs to fish more?!?

6. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hey Jim/OhNo, guess what I just saw.....and heard? A flock of geese, headed North!!! Looks like the blessed springtime will be here soon!! Couldn't tell it by today's weather, though. It's cloudy & rainy, & fairly cool....upper 40's.
    Just wanted to give you a heads-up; start watching the skies for those "honkers"!!:wink:

7. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Just peppers and maters here.

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'm extending my garden this year. Never started any of my plants other than beans, okra etc. Neighbor gave me the okay to clean out his barn and after that it's tiller time. And time to pick up MORE stinkin rocks. We have decent soil but my lord at the rocks.

9. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Headin north?:wink:

10. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I don't have a barn, but you certainly have my permission to clean out my garage.:wink: