Seed Catalogs

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by oh no, Dec 11, 2007.

1. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well has everyone started getting them in the mail?? I have gotten about 6 so far. The only important ones were Pine Tree Gardens and Vermont Bean And Seed. I'm waiting for my Shumway catolog. I always order from that one.

When it's too cold to want to work outside, it sure is nice to look threw some seed catologs.

2. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Do you get a Totally Tomatos catolog. If not check out their catolog on line. It is a very neat catolog and it has every tomato and pepper you can imagine.

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I shop gurneys & Burpee. I havent gotten them in the mail yet for 08 but Im getting emails about preseason specials & such. My wife wont let me order since we are trying to get a new house by spring and I'll have to dig up my garden to transplant. Got a spare shovel anyone?? :crazy::beat_plaster:

4. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have gotten that Totally Tomatos one. I have never ordered from them.We always just get a flat or so of plants. I like the Rutgers and Romaos and those little yellow cherry tomatos. Man they are as sweet as candy.

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've gotten a couple already too. Parks seed catalog and burpee. I usually order my seeds in feb. Then once they come in i usually start the seeds in a grow box in the garage. I raise all my plants from seeds I started. I have a 4' grow box that I made from plywood3/4" and a set of 4-48" sun bulbs. The shelves are adjustable 1 inch at a time from up to 2' . They can grow big and bushy in the box and the light produces the right amount of heat needed for young plants. It is all ran by a timer and the light runs 16 hours on and 8 hours off during the warmest part of the day. Last year I had four small gardens. I raised 72 pepper plants.Some of the biggest bells I've ever had. Many different types of HOT peppers. And numerous types of tomatoes. I really enjoy Gardening this way. This year I also started raising rabbits and will be using generous supply of manure this yr. Cant wait!

6. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey John sounds really nice. I need to make me something like that to start plants.
    Composted rabbit manure should really make them grow. I know I use cow manure and that works wonders also.

7. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    john how about a description of your grow box, an where did you get those sun bulbs. i want to start some plants this year

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The grow box I made is made out of 3/4" plywood. The outside measurements are 2'h x2'dx4'w. I have a 2' x4' flourescent shop light that fits snuggly inside the top w/a strip of small wood to stop it from going down inside the box. The inside is painted flat white, since flatwhite is 90% light reflectant. This is better than aluminum foil. I replaced the 4 cool white shop lights with 4 sun bulb tubes that I got at wal-mart for about 5 bucks each. I have a 3/4 inch shelf that fits inside the box and holds between 80 - 100 small 8 oz styrofoam cups with the small plants. I have holes drilled into the sides of the box at 1 inch adjustments. Then I use 3" pointed brass wood screws to run in the holes, that hold up the shelving board. Whenever you need to lower the plants ,you simply back out the wood screws and let the shelving board slowly slip down one inch to already set in place screws on the next adjustment holes. You lower one side at a time . This works really well for me. I can do it by myself . I have a door cut into the front of the box with hinges and a latch which allows me access to the box without having to raise the light and prop it up with a notched stick prop. You will have to water them a little everyday and for this I have a milk jug with a small1/4" plastic clear tube about 4' long siliconed into the bottom corner of the jug. I simply hold the jug higher than the plants and gravity feeds the plants a little water. I've been at this for years and have learned by trial and error. No need to buy a real exspensive system, mine was made from stuff I already had lying around. Just had to purchase the bulbs, And a timer. I run it during the night when early spring temperatures are cold and during the warmest parts of the day ,I give them some darkness. I usually run 24 hrs on at first few weeks. Then I go to 16-18 hours on and 6-8 hours off. Depending on the outside temp. I keep the young plants as close to the bulbs as possible without them touching the bulbs. The bulbs will burn the plants if they touch them for very long. I have grown all types of plants from seeds. They look better and just as bushy as the ones you will spend a small fortune on at the stores. I hope this makes some sense. If you have any questions please just ask. I love to talk Gardening with anyone who will listen.:big_smile: