Seed Catalog Web Sites

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by oh no, Jan 6, 2009.

1. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I don't know how many seed catalogs you folks get, But we get a lot. 16 seed catalogs so far. I know there are more seed outfits than I get catalogs from, so I'll show you mine, if you show me yours.

Gurneys ------------ gurneys.com

Stark Bro Nursery------------startbros.com

Miller Nurseries --------millernurseries.com

Michigan Bulb -------michiganbulb.com

John Scheepers ----- kitchengardenseeds.com

Harris Seeds ------harrisseeds.com

Totally Tomato's ------totallytomato.com

Territorial Seed Company --------territorialseed.com

Pine Tree Gardens ------- superseeds.com

Select Seeds -------- selectseeds.com

HPS Catalog Commercial ----- hpsseed.com

Vermont Bean and Seed----- vermontbean.com

Henry Fields -------henryfields.com

Johnny Selected Seeds----- johnnyseeds.com

Jung Seeds & Plants ------jungseed.com

R.H.Shumway Seeds ----rhshumway.com

Boy that was a lot of typing. I know it's early, but now is the time to look and see who is cheapest.

I have put 2 orders into HPS and 1 into R.H.Shumway Seeds. These 2 outfits I like and have ordered, year after year.

Harris Seeds will get a little of my money next.

Territerial Seed Company has morel and califlower mushroom span and 4 pages of garlic. This a neat catalog.

If you folks got some I haven't listed, Please Post Them.

There is nothing better to help with cabin fever, than to look at seed catalogs.

:wink::wink::wink::wink:

Lets all make 2009 a good gardening year.

Oh No

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Jim, you a gardenin dude ain't ya.:crazy: I usually buy my stuff from the feed store but would like to check out the morel's. Have you ever raised them?

3. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    No I have not raised them. We have about 7 acres of woods [ oak & maple], I wish it would grow mushrooms.

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The 2 I get every year are from .....Burpee and Parks:wink:

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jim thanks for sharing the web sites. I used to get some of the catalogs but not any more. I'll let them know I'm interested.

6. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana

Well post those web sites John, those are 2 that quit sending me catalogs.

Folks these web sites have all their products, lots of pictures.

7. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I get all but two you posted, John Scheepers & Pine Tree. I too get Burbee & Park seeds. Also, I get a few nursery catalogs, two especially come to mind because their prices are so low. They are both out of McMinnville TN if I recall. They are Vernon Bro's & Lee's. Not sure of their websites or if they have them. I started using them back in the late 70's when you could buy fruit trees for under $4 & Lobardy Poplar trees for 19 cents apiece.
    McMinnville seems to be a hub for wholesalers to get their stock from.

I remember my father ordering Burbee seed back in the 50's. He liked them, but hated any hybrids. I guess that's where I get it. I would love to have a list of all the Heirloom Varieties you all use. Especially curious of corn, cucumbers, beans & peppers.

I have found that I usually get all my seed from Henry Fields, mostly out of habit I suppose.

8. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Kutter Henry Fields is in Indiana so I won't order from them. Got to save that 7% sales tax. lol

No Joke Kutter, I have real close to 300 dollars spent so far on seeds. LOL I love a big garden.

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Burpee---------burpee.com
    parks----------parkseed.com
    harris seeds----harrisseeds.com
    Jung Seeds&plants---jungseed.com....these are the 4 I have currently.:cool2:

10. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Jim, I have gotten and bought from most of those over the years. Have always started many things. I have got away from that the last few years.

Do you "start" many things, if any? If so what is your set-up.

Built a garden shed for Nancy last summer and have considered going to a cold frame with early bought stuff. No electric in the shed yet for starting anything so I doubt I will get involved again. From an acre we have cut down to just a few things we enjoy. The canning and selling and giving away has gone by the wayside.

John.

11. tyrupp

tyrupp New Member

State:
    Ellis,Kans
    Kutter try www.seedsavers.org or www.seedsofchange.com , I grow cherokee beans, hidatsa shield bean and the seneca red stalker corn. I order them from the first company listed and personally don't like growing hybrids .The first company is also non-profit .

12. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I'm a regular on Seedsavers, just was curious what you all use.

13. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I buy all my plants. Marks, a roadside greenhouse by me has all kinds for about 8 bucks a flat. I usually get about 3 flats.

Seed potatos we drive to Bremem to get.[ about 70 miles away] No farm stores around here anymore. This spring I'll get 25 pounds or so of seed potatos. My sandy ground with all the stuff I get from the neighbors grows potatos real well.

This year I will plant more Yukon Gold, as they had double the taters in a hill of all I had planted. Last year I had Pontiac reds, Northlands, Kenibecks and Yukon Golds.

The new potatos went over real well at that food bank. New potato's are good eating.