Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts
OK fellas Im going against most for one reason only MONEY unless you have a high dollar scope you will not be able to see through it in that last five mins of after sun set when that big gun steps out in the edge of the woods. so what do you do cry unless you have see through scope mounts then you drop that eye down and use your iron sights and kill that big gun.
my dad has a $400 buck Leapold and I have a $140 buck bushnell and standing side by side he can see through his scope almost ten mins longer than I can. ( that is a big difference ). I dont think there for everyone just people like me! its alot cheaper to put see throughs on than shell out for a high dollar scope, dont get me wrong I would prefer to shell out for a high dollar scope but I cant with out living in my truck ( sayes the old lady:embarassed:) so for anyone on my kinda bugget I think its the only way to fly.

I agree that the see threw mounts put the scope in a position that's uncomfortable to shoot. I do not use see-thru mounts for that reason. I do like your choice in the 1.5-5 X. They are a great choice for deer hunting or hunting in general IMO. If I was mounting a scope with see-thru mounts I would sight it in at about 2/3 of the guns maximum range. This will give you a better on target accuracy in close and at long range.

I got a scope with the see-through rings as a gift. Not wanting to cause any hurt feelings I reluctantly mounted them on my muzzleloader figuring that this is a short season and if necessary would buy new mounting rings during the off-season. The rings are Thompson Center and aren't as tall as I first thought they might be. The see-through clearance is only enough to see the iron sights. I hunt in the mountains of SW VA so long shots aren't typical. I have to say, I kinda like this outfit. I'm pretty tall and can quickly pick up the target, even in low light, with the iron sites (by the way, my gun has the Tru-Glo fiber optic sights) and only have to barely straighten up my head to acquire the target in the scope. This setup isn't for everyone but does work for me. Unless I see any patterns of poor shot placement I'll probably keep them on for a while. I've been lucky enough to bag two nice does so far and am looking forward to the late muzzleloader season in December.

Mike

I have see thru mounts on one rifle, and I have bought them for another, I also have regular mounts for it. There is a big difference in stock weld using the iron sights and scope. Sometimes its uncomfortable. I have quick release mounts. I think Weaver makes a mount that makes it easier and faster to use open sights, some makers have a pretty small opening for using the iron sights. Its an inconvenience.

As far as illuminated reticles, I have heard people talk about them and they like em, but I've never been able to find a display model that I could try. The battery thing is another deterrent for me.

I'd recommend try both ways if you can afford it, or try someone's and make a comparison before ya buy. I use em but I don't think they are totally practical.

My dad had a swing-away mount on his rifle with a pretty good scope. Unfortunately the rifle was sold before I found out it was for sale. The buyer didn't like the rifle, I called to try and buy it but it had been stolen and not recovered.

Boots, i've just tried one set of them about 25 years ago. Can't really say that I liked them and haven't used them since. The main problem I had was in the exitement of the moment I would forget they were there:eek:oooh::smile2: and wouldn't use them when the shot would have been easier up close with open sights. I now have the over 40 disease and couldn't use open sights if I had to, and expect to hit anything.

I've tryed em and didn't like em. My rifle doesn't have fixed sights so theres no need in me having them. Like Richard said, i had to crain my neck up to shoot them and that goes against the way i shoot.

I personally don't care for the see thru rings cause you have to "crane" your kead to see thru the scope. The low power variable will work just fine without them but if you want to be able to use the iron sights you can get a low base with flip over rings from Weaver that works great.

I have one rifle with them. I have the over 50 eyes so I put fibre-optic sights on it too. It is a Savage 99 in .308 which for me works better with a little higher mount. I also adjusted the stock length for correct length of pull with a new Simms recoil pad. This works great. The scope is a 2-7 X 32 so the bell does not interfere with the view of the iron sights. These see thru mounts are not that high and actually have ovals you look through, not circles. Much of the area I hunt is old growth boreal forest where you could have a 10 yard shot or 200 yards by a swamp. The light in those woods can be pretty poor and it is very hard to follow a moving deer in that thick stuff with a scope waiting for him to enter that 5' wide shooting lane. I am talking about stalk hunting on the ground. There are shots long enough that have presented themselves that would have been unethical to try with open sights so having the scope has paid off. This setup works for me but only after I got the rifle to fit. I once had the same arrangement on a Remington semi-auto where I would have needed a high mount to shoot properly anyway. Some of the old ballistic charts used to have different yardage elevations based on the start line of sight over the barrel. I believe this was given for the different height scope mounts. The crossover will be farther out than a low mounted scope but as long as you know where the bullet is at what range it doesn't matter.
Having said all this I would not do this on a flat shooting long range rifle, there would be no need.

I am with the majority on this. Had them, didn't care for them much. The time it took to locate the target through the mounts, I could have done the same thing with the scope. Didn't really serve any purpose for me.

What's the point in having the scope on the gun if you're going to worry about seeing the iron sights?:smile2:

I hate them, they bring your cheek off of the stock. Then you lose a good cheek weld on the stock, which is important to good shooting with any rifle.

One reason that I MIGHT consider them is because they are usually cheaper than a solid ring of the same height. If you're using a scope with a 50mm or larger objective and need really high mounts, they're a more economical option.

i had a remington 7400 in .30-06 with the see through mounts. when i shot with the iron sights, the stock would bite my cheek pretty bad. when i had to make longer shots with the scope, my face would be up off the stock and didn't feel right. i put regular mounts on there and when i had to make a closer shot, i would just turn my scope down to a lower power. i never had any problem aquiring a target area on an animal like that. it should be noted that i always shoot with both eyes open, because for me it's easier to find a target in the sights or scope that way.

Had a set of them on a muzzle loader that has fiber optic sights on it. Caught myself using the open sights because of the higher profile of the scope, so I removed them and just use the open fiber optics. They raise the scope to a point that it is uncomfortable and renders it useless to me. I would much prefer a 1.5- 4.5 or 2-7 power scope on regular mounts. Hope this helps.

I have used them in the past and I felt that to be able to look through the scope I had to crane my neck >Very uncomfortable for me.Since your scope has a low 1.5 power I would set it on that and forget the see through rings,but if any of your friends have a set up like that ask if you can shoot a few rounds with thier gun and get a feel for them.
I have to agree with richard, they aren't comfortable to shooot. I have them on my 22 10/22 but wouldn't ever put them on a high powered rifle. No use puttin em on my weatherby, it don't have sights.

I don't like see through mounts, however, I just put a set on my 30-30 because I couldn't find my flip over mount. I think it is at the other house. I can't even see the iron sights with this mount on so it serves no purpose. I have a 2.5 power scope on the gun and I have no trouble finding a running target or a close target with it.

The only reason I would see a need for them is because you have overscoped a rifle for the type of hunting you do.

I have a deer rifle with a 6-24 power scope on it. It's good for one thing. A bean field. I wouldn't try to hunt in the woods with it. It's overscoped for that.
In fact, if I'm hunting in the woods I'd opt for iron sights. 100 yards max in the woods? Around here 50 tops. I don't need a scope to hit deer sized game within 100 yards.

200 yards or less in the open I really don't see the need for anything over a 3x if you can shoot at all, unless you just want to see the whites of his eyes.
I think the main problem is that people need to shoot their rifles a little more then they do.

You can use see through scope mounts on any rifle if you know how to mount the scope and set it up for your eye,you won't have to strecth your neck etc,mount the scope put your head down on stock,close your eyes then raise your head open your eyes and see where your view is,if you are to low then mount a cheek pad,if your are to high use scope shims to raise the scope sllightly,you should not have to move it much either way.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.