Securing line to the spool

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Katphish, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Katphish

Katphish New Member

State:
    tennessee
    What is a good way to secure your line to the spool on a baitcaster?

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    You mean, when you're putting fresh new line on right? If so, I just tie my line straight to the spool using the same knot I do on my hooks and make sure it won't pull out, never had trouble with it so far, and I've had a lot of fish go down to the knot in saltwater.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I like using a slip knot are a double square. The DS may give you trouble if you ever get spooled.

4. Gabowman

Gabowman Member

State:
    Georgia
    I've always used a simple slip knot on all my reels.

5. KYCATFISHHUNTER

KYCATFISHHUNTER New Member

State:
    NORTHERN KENTUCKY
    I Used To Have The Same Question. I Now Use A Piece Of Tape Or A Sticker To Hold The Line On. That Way If A Fish Runs Out Or Something Happens While Your Not Looking, You Will Just Lose Your Line And Not Your Whole Setup.

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I don't know if that's the best thing to do, I might be wrong. But if I have a fish that can take all the line off my reel, I want to at least try to catch it. And if he gets all of that line, he will just be dragging it around behind him right? I wouldn't want to kill a big fish like that.

7. KYCATFISHHUNTER

KYCATFISHHUNTER New Member

State:
    NORTHERN KENTUCKY
    YOU MAYBE RIGHT,BUT IF YOU HAPPEN TO LOSE YOUR SET UP WITH THE LINE WOULDNT HE STILL BE DRAGGING ALL THE LINE AND YOUR ROD? I THOUGHT IT WAS A GOOD IDEA. MAYBE IM WRONG. I MEAN IT REALLY WOULD PROBALLY NEVER HAPPEN, BUT IF IT DID YOU WOLDNT LOSE YOUR SET UP.

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Look up the Arbor Knot online. There are many sights that show you how to tie it...W

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
  10. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I was going to say the same thing, to tie an Arbor you tie a regular granny knot then on the tag end tie a knot then you cinch it up

11. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Arbor knot is the way to go unless you are using superline. In that case you need to use an arbor knot and put a layer of mono on first then tie the mono to the superline using the uni knot.

12. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use the good old slip knot.Iv allways herd of fellers geting spooled but Man I would never tell anyone.Can we all say (Crank down that DRAG)And yes I have fished salt water Most of my life, I grew up in Calif.......

13. Blue Kayak

Blue Kayak New Member

State:
    MN
    I agree with IL Hunter. I just started using 80 pound Power Pro, and it is definitely different than mono. All three of my Power Pro reels are backed with 30 pound mono. I also use a small drop of super glue on the knot attaching the mono and Power Pro.

Jerry

14. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    I just use the arbor knot, but don't need to use braid where i fish so can't really help there.

Good luck.

15. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I agree... i would just use your basic slip knot..... But i did know a guy that would use masking tape... lmao... he wasnt to brite.....

16. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

State:
    Lancaster, Ohio
    The Arbor Knot has done a nice job for me over the years.

With the coming of the slick super lines out today the is a problem with the line slipping on the reel spool. This was not a problem with mono, it would grip the spool arbor. Some new reels have grooving in the spool arbor to get the super string to grip but with the smooth arbor spools you need to add a few yards of mono or a piece of masking tape, duct tape or electricians plastic tape. Wrap the around the arbor of the spool 1 or 2 times before putting the line on. This gives some grip between the spool and the superline.

Not sure where the BOC Library is located but there is a diagram of the Arbor Knot along with a couple other good knots. Name of the article is something like "Knots for Catfishing".

17. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I do basically an extended version of a square knot... but I also choose reels where i have over 200 yards of what ever line i want on it, so on the off chance the fish is HUGE and doesn't want to come in, he's not likely to spool me before i get the chance to get on him and chase his butt down... Never had a fish come close to spooling anything but my ultra light and that was only because i had been fishing the whole day and cut off a foot of line every fish and had a few tangles so i lost a good bit of line... I now have up sized most of my ultra light reels so that they can handle over 150-200 yards of line with no problem though...

18. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Arbor knot, try grogs fishing knots or animated knots its pretty simple, i've also tried cinch knots. just relined a couple bait casters with 40 lb mono, used the arbor knot. had holes in the spool tho, so it was easy to keep it from sliding around. shoulda put some tape there i reckon, but figured with the holes i didn't need it.

19. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    I go back & forth with the arbor and slip knot. Their both equally as good. Proper drag settings should 99% of the time keep you out of trouble as far as being despooled concerned. If you've hooked into something that just peeling off your line you'll need to make that adjustment on the fly.

J

20. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use the arbor knot. Over the yrs. I have learned a lot. I was spooled once when I was young. Since then I have upgraded my equipment to larger rods, heavier lines and larger reels. Some of them hold over 350 yrds. of 30 lb. line. I will never be spooled again! I do welcome all fish over 100 lbs to try and spool me though.:smile2: