Securing boat on a trip

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by bmaultbay, Apr 16, 2006.

1. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Need some advice. I travel a lot on my job. I just purchased my first boat:) , plan to take it with me as often as possible. Other than the cable or chain to a light pole, does anyone have any other solid ways of securing a boat and trailer in a motel parking lot:confused: ? When possible I plan to leave it connected to my truck, may not always be able to do that.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    A good lock for your hitch will keep it from going too far. One of my boats has a solid square metal housing that goes over the tongue of the trailer and covers the ball "socket" completely. On the other, I just use a master lock through the latch.

If you're really worried about it, drag a chain through one wheel and around the frame of the trailer.

Basically, make it difficult for someone to steal and they won't mess with it.

I'd be more worried about people stealing things from inside the boat - keep everything locked and out of sight, and if you have a stainless steel prop, either remove it or get a lock for it.

3. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Thanks Mr T.,

Did you purchase the metal housing seperately, or is it a part of the trailer? I think I like that idea.

4. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    you can buy the coupler locks just about anywheres. I use a coupler lock that inserts into the coupler then I put a lock on the latch too. when the boat is connected to the truck it has the lock though the latch also since there has been a lot of trailers stolen when the fisherman is out fishing.

5. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    ive read that a boat thief will use chains to `secure the trailer to their old truck just to get it somewhere more secluded to get to the hitch or motor or whatever they are after.they dont care if it bangs and scratches their old beater on the tail end or bumper.if the chains hold it till they get out of sight they succeeded
    that hitch guard sounds good but i would also do something with the wheels as well , even chaining the trailer to a guard rail or lamp pole in addition to the hitch guard.
    might be a pain in the neck but takeing a tire off and putting a old rim that has flat edges ground off on 3 or 4 sides could alert neighbors or witnesses if they are fioolish enough to continue pulling it makeing a big racket.

i hate a thief its a shame we have to go out of our way to prevent their
    wrong doing. if they would publically punish these characters less thiefs would be willing to steal .

6. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    very true on the way they drag trailers around. you can also do like I did for the wheels I have locking lugnuts on both wheels and i put a lock that goes on the rim and hits the ground when I leave the trailer unattended. that way they cant drag it and they cant remove the wheel to put another one on not without a lot of work to make it worthwhile.

7. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    It appears I am going to have to visit a boat dealer and purchase some of these anti-theft devices. It is a shame we have to try to out smart the thieves. I have thought about removing one of the wheels. Seems to much of a pain in the butt for when I need to move the boat or use it. I like the locking wheel ideas and the coupler. I am definitely ordering the coupler this evening. I have enough cables, chains, and locke to devise something for the wheel. Shame you have to go to such extremes.

8. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I used to tournament fish a lot and can tell you, anything that's not bolted down (and sometimes even then) will be a target for thieves. We got to where we had to empty our boats into the motel room every night, take the props off the boats, remove the fish finders etc. just to be sure we had'em the next day. A couple of tips. Stay in motels on the ground level and that have doors opening to the parking lot, back the boat right in frount of the door, The outside opening doors are important, if like a lot of new motels the doors all open to an inside hallway it makes parking lots a lot easier for crooks. Get a good boat cover and use it, get's your stuff out of sight (there are some good alarms out now that hook to your boat cover and sound if anything tampers with it). You can't crook proof it, but you can make yours less inviting than someone elses, kinda like not needing outrun the bear chasing you and your buddy, just out run your buddy.

9. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Yep thieves are nuts they tried to steal the stereo out of my tracker one day and the face plate was in the house so it would be useless for them. They decided it wasnt worth it after they found out the steering wheel had to come off too lol.

10. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    You all about to make me wish I would have just left the boat at the house.

11. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    that was at my house when they tried to steal the stereo lol. Out on a river or lake I have had someone try to steal stuff from the boat but all rods are in the rod locker locked up and the other comparments are locked tight and very hard to get a crow bar in to pry them open. I wouldnt be afraid to take it just protect your self you may never have anyone try to steal it or anything from it but then there is always that first time.

12. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    If ya got time to fish while on the road its worth the trouble, I still hit the road with mine, the main thing is to get used to put'n "everything" up, out of sight and locked (if possible). Its when you get sloppy that it makes it eaisy for the crooks. A good boat cover is the best thing you can do, not only hides whats in the boat, but protects it from the elements and on the road too. Wheel locks and hitch locks are good ideas, but I really never worried as much about them get'n the boat, as I was worried about someone get'n the stuff in or on the boat. Know of a couple of boats stolen, but know a lot more that had their boats cleaned out. Check you home owners insurance about coverage on the boat, when I was tournaments I would have to have gotten a policy covering the boat and contents that was so high I didn't. But after I quit, my agent got me a rider on my homewner for a nice price that covered it. Paying an entry fee made it work.

13. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Thanks for all the good advice. I am going to install extra locking mechansims on all my storage containers, probably not until after this trip now, don't have the tools here. But, I have a lot of good ideas now.:)

14. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i agree with brian i want to stay home. i used to do this .u know those pull poppers that wistle then go off . when at a motel( not often ) i put them arround on my cover, if mooved they go off , then every one gets up lol they only cost a few dollars kept them in my truck glove box, now i just fish out of a alum. boat so i park it on the street hoping i can collect insurance on it lol keep it locked .