Securing a boat for travel

Discussion in 'Boating' started by JPritch, Feb 20, 2007.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    What type and how many tie downs do you guys recommend to secure a boat for trailering? Boat is 16' long, and with motor weighs about 1300lbs.

I was advised by the guy at the dealership that a single gunwale strap would be sufficient. Gut tells me I need more.

Should I go with two gunwale straps, or combine one with some transom and bow tie downs?

Something like this?:
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...parentType=index&indexId=cat420011&hasJS=true

I understand more is better, but I don't want to overkill either because that costs unnecessary $$$.

One more thing, should I get a transom saver bar? The motor weighs 237lbs.

Thanks for the help!

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    3 straps. 1 on the bow and 2 on the transom (one on each side).

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I agree on the three straps. I would also get the transom saver bar. It is for what it says.

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    The man said it right there and yes, get that transom saver...W

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Ditto. If you can configure the transom straps so that they are pulling on an angle, in opposition to each other, it's a good idea.

I don't like the straps you linked...my preference is for ratchet straps.

I back up the winch strap on the bow with a short chain, but I might be a little bit paranoid.:wink:

6. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    One more thought: the straps from Cabela's have open hooks. If you can find them, moused hooks (hooks w/keepers) are much more secure.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree this is the route to go. Might add Use the rachett type and double check at each stop. Safety first. You don't want to buy your rig twice.:big_smile:

8. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    when i bought mine from rsimms my brother and i went to tn from here northern ky and hauled it back the only straps were the ones that were on it , thats one strap across the back and one on the front , no transom brace but it hauled fine at 70 mph i was suprized verns mini van pulled it so well .

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You might drag a boat for years with the motor in the trail position and do no damage to the transom. You might back out of the drive way and split the transom right then. Might is a big word, but it is best to prepare for it. I pulled my little 15' bass boat w/50 HP Johnson. In Oklahoma, most of our highways are like dirt roads. At any rate, I hit a pot hole and the motor flipped down in the run position. Before I could stop I took off about 1 1/2 inches of aluminium from two ears of the prop. Found a used prop for $50.00 - transom saver would not have cost that much in the first place... now I got one.

10. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Thanks for the great advice everyone!

I went ahead and ordered some ratchet tie-downs from BassPro, two for the transom and one for the bow. I have a regular tie-down already that I can use as a gunwale strap if I ever need it. Couldn't find the type with keeper hooks, only the open hooks, so I had to go with it.

I'm gonna wait on the transom saver bar for now because I'm not sure if I'll need the type that mounts to the roller or the frame since I haven't seen my trailer yet. But once I do, I will definitely be getting a transom saver bar.

Again, thanks for the advice and helping a novice out! As always, I can count on the BOC for help!

11. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    I never had used a trasom bar untill I bought my Bass Tracker now I would't be with out one.
    I have hauled a boat all over Florida,Georgia,North Carolina,Lousianna. Mississippi.Only one flat tire (knock on wood).
    You should have seen the looks I got in the mountains hauling that boat around.
    All the previous advise was good.
    Don't forget to greese the bearings too.:smile2: