secrets

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by dan 1989, Nov 20, 2005.

1. dan 1989

dan 1989 New Member

State:
    oquawka ILL
    what are some of you guys bring them in everytime secrets lookin for some ideas to bring some more in its been pretty slow year

2. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    Lots of water movement in the decoys on calm days. When ducks land wide of the spread, make sure to scare them up or ducks will continue to land with the live ducks. When shooting into big flocks of ducks, make sure to shoot at the furthest ones first so you can work your way to the closer ducks so you'll either triple or double on ducks, don't immediately take the easy shots first. Make sure everything is camoflauged and matches your surrounding perfectly, not enough people do this and it costs them ALOT of birds. Use multiple species of decoys and keep them separated somewhat(widgeon with wigeon, mallards with mallards, teal with teal, shovelers with shovelers, gadwall with gadwall, pintails with pintails, etc.). Use 2 dozen coot decoys. I know it sounds hilarious and all, but try it and see what happens to decoy shy ducks. When conservation officials do their bi-weekly flights here in Missouri, they always tell us that black is the first thing they'll spot, so use as much black in your spread as you can, even if that means painting gallons jugs black and using them. Canada goose decoys will attract ducks VERY well, as will large snow goose spreads. These are a few tricks that I use, I can't tell you all of them, because then I wouldn't have an advantage in your area. LOL!!!!!!!!!!! Calling can be critical at times and knowing how much to call is VERY important. God bless.

3. dan 1989

dan 1989 New Member

State:
    oquawka ILL
    have never heard of using coots but i will give it a try ive heard of the jugs but havent done it thanks for suggestions

4. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    Anytime. Hope they help you somewhat. If you put them in your spread of decoys, you'll notice the mallards tending to want to land with the coot decoys, so I just started using them all alone on heavily pressured areas. God bless.

5. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Good info-especially when to call and more importantly -when not to call.

This ain't a secret but,nothing beats scouting and being where the ducks are.

6. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    Definitely. Calling can be highly overrated at times, but at others can be the most critical reason the ducks come into your spread!!!!! Sounding like a "real" hen is crucial and doing it at the right time is too. Covering up and totally blending into your environment is VERY important as well, especially is you call and ducks are looking at you. God bless.