Secrets of catching MONSTER blue catfish....60+

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by JPritch, Nov 4, 2008.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Thanks in part to all the help I've received on the BOC, I am catching fish in the 30-40 lb range pretty regularly. I can't seem to break 50 though, and the James has an abundance of fish 50-60 and every so often you hear of 70 and 80 lbers caught.

Just wondering if there is something different to targeting a 70 lb fish as opposed to 30 lb fish?

I use big baits, often cutting a 12" gizzard shad into the head, and two cuts of the gut pocket, and sometimes the entire gut pocket. Do I need to upsize even further?

I usually fish channel edges 25-40 ft, tight to structure such as pilings, shallow creek mouths adjacent to deep water. Do I maybe need to soak my baits in really deep water, 60-90'?

Perhaps change presentation a bit? Or is it just a matter of lucking into a monster?

Just looking for ideas. I love catching what I catch, but you know being a fisherman, we are always looking for bigger fish!

2. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Josh I cought a 80 plus this year and with me it was blind luck. But I agree that what I have learned on here that I would have never fished a place like I caught that fish in. Good luck in your quest for the 70 to 80 pounder. My goal now is a 90 plus. Just keep chugging along it will happen.

Tom

3. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    This is what I do to target big Cats. For the most part with the exception of course. The bigger fish are mostly solitary creatures, spending most of there time doing their own thing away from the pack. Blue cats being a schooling fish can be alittle easier to find on your electronics. Usually I tend to look for the marks on my graph that indicate numerous fish and set up on them. Fall especially. For big fish try the same techniques you use when setting up on a spot, but pass up the schools of fish or the smaller groups of marks. Look for single larger marks, you will find them in the same areas as the schools and smalller groups of fish. just off and away from the rest. set up on that single mark the same way and give it 30 min or so if no take down go find another mark and repeat until you find one that is feeding. Keep your bait big also. Big fish tend to not want to spend alot of energy and will redially take a larger offering more times than with a smaller one. By fishing single larger marks i have consistantly caught larger fish 10 to 20 on average fishing this way. Thats how I target big Blue Cats

4. foreverman

foreverman New Member

State:
    va
    If you can get the freshest bait as you can and go bigger 18 inch shad and "2 by "8 chuncks. It might be your tackle i use a 330 gti that is a 4/0 saltwater reel the world record was caught on one most peoples tackle can not take big blues on he james the current is way to strong i also use shamino tld star wow great. You can pm me about it if you like i have bin fishing the james since i was 3 years old.

5. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Good Luck on your quest! I am not in your area but i say say in reading the post the soundtrack Jaws started ringing in my mind!:smile2:

6. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    very good info guys..thanks.....but there should be a little patients it your tackle box as well, it will come in do time...good luck

7. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Thanks Roger. I always use fresh bait caught that morning. Although last trip had trouble finding it and had to use frozen, first time in a year doing that. I am confident in my gear, I use Penn 320 GT2's and MH Tiger rods, 40# big game, 60lb leader, 10/0 owner hooks, spro power swivels. The problem isn't the fish breaking me off, it's just not being able to get them to bite my offerings.

8. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I've caught about a dozen blues over 60 lbs. in the last 4 years and the one thing that sticks in my mind is the time of year. I believe all of them were caught in the late fall through early spring (Oct. - April), and 2 of the biggest 3 were caught in Jan. and Feb. I like to use big baits too, and bait that is frozen will work if it's frozen fresh. I don't like frozen shad though, it tends to get mushy. When I use frozen I like skipjack, bream, or carp and the bait is not even thawed when I put it on the hook sometimes and I have to cut it with a big sawtooth knife. All the big ones I've caught have came from in or very close to deep water compared to the surrounding water. I get skunked in the winter sometimes and it sucks when you sit out there all day and freeze with no action, but time on the water and patience will pay off eventually. The James definitely sounds like a place where the winter catfishin' would be worth it. Good luck fishin'.

9. caveman

caveman New Member

State:
    va

i'm curious, how are you rigging the big shad? what weight,leader, hook, etc??

great post josh, i too want to know how to set up for the biguns!:big_smile:

25-35lbs seems to be my average right now.:sad2:

vaughn

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    If you are consistently catching blues in the 30-40lb range then I think you are doing the right things and just need to keep at it, there just isn't much difference between the behavior of a 40lb fish vs an 80lb. A fish that size has outgrown the natural threats and can pretty much do as it pleases, and you will find that people who catch a monster blue will often catch some smaller (but still large) fish in the same area.

11. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    All of the info on this thread seems great. You may also want to read through the thread mississppi trophy catfish forum http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52423

Many of the guys that post in this thread have caught several over 70 lbs. and one guy caught one that weighed 116lbs.

Lots of great techniques for chasing big Blues in that thread.

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    This is a very interesting thread. I will be trying my luck this winter at some monster blues in the cumberland. Hopefully all this advice will pay off