Secrete baits? or is it? Share yours if you want

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by all_4_Flatcats, Apr 28, 2009.

1. all_4_Flatcats

all_4_Flatcats New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    We all have our secretes on what to use for bait?

I share some of mine when it comes to bait hell, I feel if I don't share what I have learned over the years I'm useless because its kinda in someways effects the future of Cating. That's just my opinion though and I respect those who don't share.

A little bit about my self. When it comes to fishing I don't take what I'm not going to eat. If bait is still alive when I'm done I past it on, release it, bring back home place it back in the bait tank. If dies I bring back home cut it, season it, and freeze for the next time I go fishing...

Sorry I had to get that out of he way....

Here is something to try with cut bait and Live Bait:

Bluegill steaks or filets :
    Soak in a jar w/ garlic,soy sauce, curry,meat tenderizer, and Crawl Fish puree (basically anything with strong odor). Keep in the frig. Put this in the sun to long and you get chumb. Either way it works. I also freeze it good for summer and winter blue as well as the channel too...

Beating The Meat: Before you cut up your bluegill or other bait fish beat it with a blunt object to release the blood in the meat. hint: de scale and de fin the bait before cutting, cuts the chance of the fish spitting bait out. The softer the better and no fins poking around in side the mouth of the beast.

Live Bait Fish : Hook behind the anus of the fish near the tail keeps fish swimming natrually. Has aways worked for me. Hint: becareful casting though bait may come off easy if cast to hard or if you hit the breaks to hard on those bait casters...LOL!! I hate when that happens...

Baby carp work great.

Bluegill head Tipped w/ leech

Crappie head tipped w/ red worm

Curled Shiner tipped w/ leech

Chub sliced down the belly tipped w/ leech

"I love the sound of bait clicker singing on a quiet night, it feels good to wake up to a bent pole anna straight line"

2. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Thanks for sharing Larry. Knowledge not wasted...

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Chicken liver aged for 7-10 in direct sunlight between 70-90 degrees. Rough to fish with but great to let the fish know you are there.

4. tkbiker

tkbiker New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Beef Spleen.....

5. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Just to add, if you're having trouble keeping cut or dough baits on the hook, you can cut a small 2"x2" square piece of ladies panty hose and stretch and wrap it around your hooked bait, keeps the bait on, and allows the scent to be released into the water.....a warning though, when you change baits, you'll also be changing hooks, because it's really NOT coming off.

6. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio

What I like even better than panty hose is the stuff women wear over their faces when they get married, no idea what it is called but if you ask the people at wal-mart in the fabric section they will know what you wan . It has bigger holes than panty hose and if you tie the stuff tight around a chicken liver the liver will work its way through the holes and really hide the material. You can buy it any size you want and just cut it down to the right sizes.

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

Out here, we don't use blunt objects, we use the soles of our shoe/boots and just "stomp" on them.

That's why we call them "Stompers".

8. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    I like to use pork liver, I cut it in big chuncks(size of clinched fist) and season with crushed garlic, sea salt maybe a little pure vanilla and annis oil. can't get to much garlic and salt on it. Set in fridge overnight and you have a health supply of bait. The pork liver has a tough skin on it and I use a pair of sissors to cut off the size I want. I won't use trebble hooks. It will stay on the hook sometimes for 3 or 4 channels unless it's in the cats mouth and you yank it out missing the set. Live or cut bait seems to be the first on the tottem pole on here but don't have a cast net to get them right now and this early in the season there not close to the bank yet or I'd use the smallest hook and a very small pinch of worm with no weight and they will attack it like a feeding frenzy. A cane pole works good for this. I mainly fish for eattin size channels.:wink:

9. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Welcome to the BOC Larry from Peoria

10. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    If you can keep from cooking it up, beef cube steak is an amazing bait, the more stringy, the better.

11. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Ain't heard the cube steak one before. Thanks for postin' it!

12. all_4_Flatcats

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Thanks everyone who welcomed me to this site. This one of the best places for resources on Catfish(ing) I seen in years...

13. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    this year ive been using prayer but to no avail

14. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    welcome Larry good thread reps to ya

15. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    welcome to the site larry, i use any live bait for flattys and for channel cats chunks of bluefish seems to work very well

16. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    lol Rick it hasent help me much for fishing lol:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

17. all_4_Flatcats

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I found stomping releases the blood trail to fast and alot of it sticks to your shoes or ground... I beat the bigger bait to release as much blood into the meat of bait as possible...