Secret to spraying laquer??

Discussion in 'Jims Woodworking' started by KansasKatter, Oct 9, 2007.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    OK,

I will be the first to admit that I am a rookie to say the least, but what is the secret to spraying laquer on wood trim (base and casing)? I have a gravity feed gun, and an airless, and can use either one to paint anything else, but am having trouble getting a nice smooth finish on my trim for the new house.

Any suggestions? The wood is Knotty Alder, and there are miles and miles of it! :wink: And oh yeah, no stain, just clear coating (semi gloss) natural color. I have the laquer from Sherwin Williams, I think it is called "Gem-Coat" semi-gloss.

Thanks!

2. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Laquer dryes so fast,some time that dosn't lay flat before it dryes.You can use a retarder so it will dry slower.wood will fuzz up when the finnish is put on. you will need to sand after the first coat.the guy at the paint store cun get the retarder that you need.is gem-coat a laquer or a poly finnish.you may want to thin it a littil some times that will do the tric.

3. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    If it seems like it is coming out thick you could try thinning it a little with lacquer thinner, that will give it a little more dry time so it can level itself.
    The problem with lacquer is it needs to go on thick but not come out thick, cause it dries so fast.

4. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    In the past I have done a couple of things when spraying lacquer. I use a sand and seal (which is a lacquer also) first, wait a few minutes and when it is dry hit it with fine sand paper and then the finish coat. Another thing I have done is use a sizing compound made of water and wood glue. Brush it on and it will raise the grain most times but not always. Sand it lightly once it is dried and put the lacquer on it.

5. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Thanks guys! I figured it out last night, turned the volume way up on the gun and put on a pretty heavy coat.

I think the mistake I was making before is not putting it on enough to level itself out before it dried, and it was drying in the exact pattern it was leaving the gun. Turned the material way up, and the air way down, checked it out this morning and it is perfect!!

Thanks for all the help! Now if I could just get the smell out of my basement!

I LOVE that smell, but rest of the family hates it, plus my wife being preagnent, she can't be around it at all.:crazy: