Secret Gill spot at Roosy

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by AZflats, May 31, 2006.

1. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I noticed there has been some comments about finding bait at Roosy.
    ** I have had trouble finding bait as well, especialy in the winter time.
    * If you can't get them in the shallows by the rocks, try this spot:

Bobcat boat ramp....
    ~ As you launch you boat here, watch the depth. Many large bluegills hide in the submerged brush. They are usualy always in the area, try different depths. Last time I was out, I was catching them in schools at 17 feet right off the bottom, big gill slabs.

Another trick that I read about, but have yet to try:

Hang banner flags similar to the ones used at grand openings and used car dealers in the same fashion bass fishermen use bouy markers. A float on top and a weight on the bottom. The assorted colors will draw gills to the flags and get them to hang around. Set it up in a cove where you are certain bluegills must be. Also try baiting it up with chopped night crawlers. Leave it for an hour and come back to it.

2. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Thanks for the info on the spot I will try it and might give the banner a try if I can fine one, it sounds like a winner.

3. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    last time we went we caught a ton of huge green sunfish. right next to the boat ramp at the windy hill camp ground there are these boulders stacked up on the sides. we were just wiggling a bit of worm in between them and caught them.