secret-7

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by butch fulk, Jul 11, 2009.

1. butch fulk

butch fulk New Member

State:
    Charlotte, Mich
    got the secret 7 in the mail today going out sunday and trying it out. how long does it stay on the bait holder useing the furry thing .how do store the bait when not in use it dont say on the packageing than you

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Depending on the current I would re check the bait holder about every fiften minutes. This would be on a slow day. However the bite will be so good you will be looking at it every few minutes.

3. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I have always used it with dip worms and in a lake with no current, so it stays on for me 20-25 min. It really would depend on the current in a river. If I don't have a bite by then (I usually do), I'll reel it in to make sure it isn't covered with weeds, and usually rebait when I do that.

Make sure you stir it until its really creamy and if it isn't, just a tad of vegetable oil works to thin it. I carry a roll of toilet paper and a trash bag so I can dry off the worm between rebaiting, I don't want the water in the Secret-7 jar, or that stuff on my hands, and the bait won't stick well to a wet dip worm. Other people use a sponge.

You can either put the dip worm in the can of bait for the next use, or clean it off really good with tp or a sponge, and I store the can in a backpack inside of a gallon sized ziplock storage bag.

I hope you have as good of luck with it as I have. Good fishing to you!

4. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    This stuff in my recent experience will stay on the mini furry thangs for quite a while, and even when it starts coming off the furry still stinks. Word of advice is to wear rubber gloves or use a paint stirring stick to dip your bait, this stuff wreaks. I also keep mine stored in my catfish tackle box inside a freezer bag(to trap that smell). :wink:

5. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I carry a nice wooden lacquer coated chopstick in my backpack for a stirring and dipping stick. It cleans up easily. A cheap disposable wooden one would soak up the stink-bait, and reek.

6. Gr_Cat

Gr_Cat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Great info guys, i just bought a 64oz bucket its on its way and a dozen of the red worms with 2/0 hooks! I'm just not going to use them when I'm after flatheads! Not a big dip bait person myself, more of a cut bait/live bait guy, as I've never had much luck with dip baits in the past but you guys talked me into trying this!

7. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I started catting with Berkley dough-balls targetting carp. I kept catching small channels. I found this site and learned how some people catch eater sized fish, bought a can of Sonny's and some dip worms, taught myself how to use it (practice), and found it worked better for those eater catfish than the Berkley doughballs.

I also bass fished quite a bit, and would catch panfish whenever I got the chance for supper. I started catching 20+ inch catfish, that was better to me than 14" bass that I'd throw back. I'd catch 3 or 4 each time out (15" - 22"), which I thought was pretty good. I started learning the lake (Sessions) and where to target the fish from shore during which times of year (from applying what I picked up on this site), tried other dip baits too, but nothing outfished Sonny's, and I'd bring home at most 6, a really good day for me. It's a good thing I love fishing, there were many skunkings that would have discouraged me otherwise, and a lot of bad days like have been described here.

I tried Secret-7 last summer and suddenly my catch rate in the same spots went from 3-4 to 6 at least, with 9 or 10 mixed in sometimes this year. And that's from shore, not moving around like I could in a boat, without the benefit of a fish finder. I don't think its all the bait, of course, if you fished it at the shallow beach in the middle of a hot day you'd probably get skunked, but if you find where the fish are and present it to them, you'll get some. Not huge ones, but they will make a big bass rod's drag sing. (I use a Shimano Solstace 4000 with 14lb line and it's handled everything I've caught). I tried cut bait and live bluegills (on a bigger rod, just in case) and was surprised to catch fish on the live gills too, but never have been successful (yet) at Sessions with cut bluegill. That won't stop me from trying, and learning how to present it and where, and one day I will get another 10+ pounder out of that lake, probably on a live 'gill.

Maybe someday I'll get a small boat and try learning some rivers around the area, get into Flatheading, but right now I am happy with stringers of 18" - 25" channels to eat, and anything bigger would be for CPR and fun. Without a boat I did much better than with one on Sessions; odd, I figured since I was doing so well from shore I may as well have the money the bass boat would fetch, since I was going out alone and not using the boat very often.

That is my testimonial. I may not be the big-time Flathead hunters that some here are, but I love catfishing just as much. You have to start somewhere, and I think I have a good handle on how to catch some eaters at Sessions at least, for a start.

Good luck to all the catfishermen out there. If the river is high and unfishable, try out this local lake for a change of pace, with your knowledge you should be able to catch fish, probably more fish, larger fish, and faster than me.

8. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Doug thats a great story.I like the idea of how you present your self and the way you fish.