Second all-nighter on the Altamaha...new PB Flathead catfish!

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by Fivebraids, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Fivebraids

Fivebraids New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Denise and I made a spur-of-the-moment decision and decided to take advantage of the (almost) full moon last night and head to the river. Using everything we learned from our first trip, we left the lawn furniture and firewood at home, and made it a "stay on the boat" fishing trip!

It was a simply beautiful night on the river. The moon was so bright, we were able to travel around with nothing more than a flaslight for occasional guidance.

We headed down to Doe Eddy (about 5-6 miles from Jaycee's) and ran up and down that cove most of the night. Fishing wasn't as beautiful as the night was though. I've read loads of threads about various thoughts on the phases and how it affects fishing. Well, last night has me thinking there's more to the moon phases than I ever considered. Either that, or we're just really terrible fishermen/women.

I boated three or four eels, and not a single cat on Doe Eddy. I was even using S.O.S.'s tip about using the eel heads for bait. Nothing but a few gentle bites. And we tried deep, shallow, channels, cuts, cover, etc. Nothing seemed to be working.

Finally we decided to swing back around to Cole Eddy and try our luck. Boy am I glad we did. I landed a new PB flat:

P1020314.jpg

Still not the 40+ pound monster I'm eager to boat, but not too bad either. We don't have a scale, but we agreed that it was probably around 20 pounds. I caught it in about 16' of water on a 5" goldfish on the bottom. It was one of those 'locomotive' hits. My clicker started screaming and line was going out faster than I thought it could. I picked up the rod and set the hook as fast as I could...the battle was on. That fish ran right for cover and got itself wrapped up real good. I was sure my line was going to break...but after about 20 minutes I was able to work it back out of the cover and up to the boat. Denise was ready with the net...and the camera!

Well, next time I just hope the flatties I catch continue the current trend and keep getting bigger and bigger!

- Marty n Denise -

2. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Congrats Marty! Nice fish.

3. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    good job on the nice catch....you will find when fishing for flatheads you don't always get em.....but when you do it's all worth it. I like those rubber kitchen mats in the bottom of your boat....i did the same thing to my boat...they're really good sound deadners..

4. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Congrats on you PB flatty Marty! nice fish... :wink: thanks for the report
    Puddle

5. Fivebraids

Fivebraids New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks Aaron,

I agree that flatheads are worth it...I'm hooked! I just wanna catch more and bigger ones!!! :tounge_out:

As for the mats, they're restaurant quality so they're over 1/2" thick. They're a little heavy, but in addition to sound deadening, they keep the floor of the boat much cleaner. Water, slime, grit, and everything else just falls through to the plywood subfloor I have under the mats. Once in a while I pull out the mats and plywood and hose them all off...then take a hose and rinse out the boat (or a shopvac if there's lots of 'stuff' down there).

- Marty -

6. Sultan of Slime

Sultan of Slime New Member

State:
    GA
    Good Job!!

7. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I hear ya......i have mine just on the bare floor right now.....the ribs that go along the beam make the floor of my boat uneven right now, and I want to stay away from plywood due to weight. I found some nice 3/8 waterproof foam board im gonna put inbetween the ribs when i get around to it to make everything level.

8. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Great trip and fish! That is a fine area you are fishing in. During a typical night on the Altamaha, I usually fish about 4-7 spots. Sometimes moving to a new area is all it takes to catch a nice fish...

9. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Congrats on the new PB and thanks for the report!

10. Fivebraids

Fivebraids New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks Bob...

Someday maybe Denise and I will get lucky and meet up with you so you can share some tips and show us around...:wink:

- Marty -

11. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a great night on the river and congrats on a great fish!!

12. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    Congratulations guys on the new PB..... hope to get down there where you were at and wet some hooks with you guys...... as Bob said there is some good fish coming up from that area.

Greg AJ

13. Fivebraids

Fivebraids New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Well thanks Greg,

But, from the looks of the current river level forecast, it's gonna be a while before ANY of us are able to venture down that far!

Jaycee's landing is forecast to be under 1.5', and we remember all too well the last time we got on the river when it was that low. It's not fun!!

The Uvalda landing is even worse. It's projected to be at less than HALF A FOOT!!! I posted in my 'first' all-nighter thread about that landing, hoping to hear from S.O.S., since it was low when Denise and I went there. It's getting lower...and that's hard to imagine!

Speaking of river levels, has anyone ever ventured to the area of the Altamaha near Baxley (near the nuclear plant)? That river level is always about SIXTY FOOT! Aside from running the risk of catching two and three headed fish, what's the deal there?

- Marty -

14. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    Never have heard alot of people talk about fishing up around the Baxley area. Do have a friend that lives up there and does fish up that way. Will talk to him and get some comments from him.

It is a bit deeper on the lower end of the river once you get passed Dicks swift area from what I hear. Just have to take it slower.

I am itching to get down to Doe Eddy area and do some fishing. Hopefully the levels will come back up soon.

Greg AJ

15. Fivebraids

Fivebraids New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I'd appreciate input from your friend about the Baxley area. Delaing with 60'+ of water sure sounds good after dragging on sandbars in less than one foot!

Actually, you have to be careful right after Dicks Swift, since there's an area where there's less than a foot of water across most of the river. There's only a small (Maybe 5' wide) channel on the far right heading down river that's navigatable. I know....we got stuck and had to use the trolling motor skimming across the top of the water to break us out and over to the little channel!

Once you get past the little inlet that feeds up to Lake Bluff, things get much better and there's plenty of water.

We should plan to get together as soon as the level gets up a little.

- Marty -

16. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Great report Marty! Thanks for the update on the ALtamaha.

And I am certain that if you keep fishing, you will get into bigger and bigger fish. As you catch a few and figure out what spots work, then you can look for other spots like that and keep learning!

On the Edisto up here in SC, I have sort of a milk run of spots that have produced fish in the past, but things change every year - a spot that was hot last year can be dead this year - so I always try to hit a few new spots each trip to keep on learning.

17. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Oh, by the way, remember that real shallow stretch you mentioned with just a 5 foot wide channel along one side? Go to the downstream end of that narrow channel where it starts to run into the next hole down and fish around there. That narrow channel will likely hold bait, so it's a feeding area, plus it's a highway for any fish moving up or down the river, like a funnel. I love spots like that!

18. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    JAinSC what a great idea......never even thought of that.....but makes plenty of sense.... May have to sneak down there in a day or so. Thanks for the tip.

Greg AJ

19. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Marty,
    I fished up around Baxley last year. The guage there measures in a different way. Believe me if it is low at Doctortown it is even lower there. Lots more rock up that was also. The power plant is impressive though. Going by it on the river was a cool site.
    John was right about that spot. Since is like a highway, it does funnel fish well. I remember a guy caught a 50 pounder along there on a limbline a couple of years ago. Those willows there hold bream pretty well and the flatties go there, might even hold there sometimes. The hole that lies just below it, Lake Bluff, probably has had some of the biggest flatheads taken from it along the river. I know of at least one 60 plus former state record and an 85 pounder caught on a limbline from there. Good luck...
    -Bob

20. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    Here is a link where you can look at any of the river levels however it does not show Baxley because of what Bob was saying. They read a different type of scale of something. Hope this helps you keep an eye on the rivers.

http://files.wtoc.com/weather/riverstages.htm