SEC Football (lets talk)

Discussion in 'Ersel's Gridiron Talk' started by fisheater, Sep 7, 2007.

1. fisheater

fisheater New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Just wandering if anybody else wanted to talk about the only conference in football. The SEC. I am an Auburn fan but would like to talk to any SEC fans or just college football fans on the site.

2. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    Amen brother!!

i also am an Auburn fan. i dont think there is any doubt who the toughest conference in the nation is. this year the conference is loaded up. Arkansass has that beast at running back. Lsu is obviously a powerhouse. Florida's Tim T. surprised the nation last weekend when he threw the ball (not to mention returning champs). UGA is starting to get a program put back together. Alabama--(spit twice over your left shoulder) has got a lil' bit of talent and a new coach with credentials. (still hate them though). And lets not forget about the greatest team in the land. AUBURN. thats the thing about the SEC, any given sat. you will have a battle on your hands, even Kentucky can come up and upset ppl when they have to. i almost forgot about Tenn. i know they lost last weekend, but they did it with class, to a very good Cal team. and im not sure that Tenn. wouldnt have been able to turn around and beat them next weekend, should they play again.

but that is just my extremely biased point of view.

WAR EAGLE SUCKERS!!

3. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Of course I'm a Hog fan (Razorbacks). I agree with you guys. The SEC is the strongest conference in college football from top to bottom. Anybody can beat anybody on any given weekend. You guys are rigth about the Arkansas running game. We have the two best backs in the nation on the same team. However, to win the big one we have to pass the ball effectively and I don't think we're there yet. All I can say is it's likely the national champion will be from the SEC. USC will get most of the media support and attention. LSU is very quick and their very good. Flordia is again very strong and looking good. Alabama should be better than last year. Tenn will be improving as well as UGA. Ole Miss will up set some folks as well as Miss St. The contenders in the west will be LSU, AU, and UA. In the east it will be Fla, Tenn, and SC. SC could be the sleeper this year like the UA was last year.

4. fisheater

fisheater New Member

State:
    Alabama
    You guys are right Arkansas has, in my humble opinion, the next heisman in Mcfadden. One thing everyone is overlooking is Vanderbilt. They will have the best team they have had in a while. I Believe you are right that Alabama will be better but it will be a few years before they get where they would like to be. I hope Auburn is not overlooking South Florida which I dont believe they are because the Bulls are no pushover. Great Quarterback. One good gane Sat. will be LSU and Virginia Tech. LSU has the 3rd best Defense in the nation and who is Number 1. Thats right Virginia Tech. Will be a defensive game. Thank you guys for talking football I was starting to think noone cared for the SEC on here. Lets here from some LSU fans because I know they are on here.

5. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Well my 1st love is my beloved Cornhuskers...but Auburn is my second favorite team. I spent 5 years in Montgomery (the dirty gump.) I went to a club, and a girl asked me who was my favorite team. I told her Nebraska...well in Alabama whether you're a resident or not you have to either be a Tide fan or an Auburn fan. Could never stand Alabama, so went with Auburn. Went to see some great games. Jordan-Hare Stadium doesn't seem to get quite as loud as Memorial Stadium does in Lincoln, but the atmosphere is something else. Plus the women are amazingly hot and abundant.

SEC is definately the toughest conference for the past few years. But I've noticed things go in cycles. The Big 8/Big 12 was dominant in the 90's. The early 2000's belong to SEC for the most part. But you never know, I mean the Big East is looking pretty dang good lately. It's going to be a great season.

SudDawg
    GO BIG RED...WAR EAGLE

6. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    the sec...isn't that some kind of second-tier high school organization?:0a10:

is sec an abbreviation for secondary or second fiddle?:wink::smile2:

7. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    What some of you guys said about anybody beating anybody else any given Saturday in the SEC is definitely true. I just watched my beloved GA Bulldogs lose to S. Carolina and that old FL coach(I dare not speak his name). Can't say much more without using 4 letter words, so that's it(GO DAWGS!).

8. suddawg

suddawg New Member

At least they didn't lose to Southern Florida like Auburn.

SudDawg

9. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Just a word here about all the so called "elite" conferences and schools. With only 85 scolarship players per school, a lot of very good players end up going to what we might call "second tire" schools. You know what that does? It levels the field so to speak. Every school now has a very talented group moving the ball up and down the field. Anyone "can" beat anyone. This weekend proves it again. If coaches are as smart as I thank they are, they will be using the results of the first two weekends as an example to their teams to prevent them from "over looking" anyone they are playing. You can't win a conference championship in one weekend but you sure can loose one.

10. fisheater

fisheater New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Wow. How would have thought it. Well, I did. When you don't have an offensive line, you have a quarterback who is scared to get hit, and a running back who is great but just couldn't hold on to the ball, you get beat. South Florida had a good team and there are really no excuses WE GOT BEAT. The biggest fear I have is if we can't run against South Floridas defense what will happen against LSU, Arkansas, Geaorgia, Alabama even. I hope and pray they will wake up but it does not look good for the home team. War Eagle

11. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    oh man that was a tough night. the only ray of sunshine i see for my beloved tigers this year is youth. we have a boat load of young players. i just hope that they get better quick. fannin is going to be a dynamite back one day. i really wasnt upset when he fumbled i mean he is a freshman and it was his first college game. i hope the learning curve is sharp. otherwise its gonna get ugly.

12. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    Who? The Big East? Anyone watching college fb knows the Big East is just as good if not better than the SEC. We may or may not have THE best team, but we're talking about conferences as a whole right? The Big East is getting everyones attention.

13. suddawg

suddawg New Member

WHAT!!!! What are you smoking.

Louisville gets beat by an unranked SEC team
    Syracuse loses again...to a Big 10 team
    Pitt also to a Big 10 team

West Virginaia beat a crappy ACC team
    oooooohhhh....Rutgers beat Norfolk State
    UCONN beat temple!!!
    Cincinnati beat Miami(OHIO)

Just one more team...South Florida did beat a stunningly crappy Auburn team

I'm a Big 12 fan...GO HUSKERS...but i'm a fan of college fooball just as much, and I know better then to say stuff like the Big East is just as good or better then the SEC.

SudDawg

14. fisheater

fisheater New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Boilerman, Come On! Thats all I can think to say about that last comment. On to more important subjects. My beloved tigers let another one get by. It seems to me alot of Auburn fans are doing the usual thing when we are down they start the kicking. People have to remember we can't win 11 games every year. We are young, we will be better. Just ask an Alabama fan, its not then end of the world to have a down year (or 5). Notre Dame makes me feel good about my Tigers. Hang in there Auburn fans (baitchunker) it will get better. War Eagle

15. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    After Loisville's loss last week I'll give it to ya. That screwed everything up for the Big East. I don't think anyone expected that. SEC now has 5 in the top 25 and we have 4. So I will agree based on the current standings, but we're not far behind and there's still a lot of football to be played, so we'll see how it pans out.

16. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I noticed the Big 12 also has 5 rated teams. They won't stay there long... start playing each other in about two weeks.

17. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Beware the Wildcats this year, I smell some upsets in the SEC.

18. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    war freakin eagle baby

auburn is gonna take some tuff hits this year, but everything runs in a cycle. all these hard licks are gonna help strengthen our young team. who btw i still feel good about considering thier youth.

alabama... ok you guys might have a squad this year. Lsu, unstoppable period. FLorida obviously. tenn, well we will see. Kentucky? seriously? stranger things have happened. msu did beat au.

19. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I also take into consideration that the Big East only has 8 teams. Maybe we would have 5 in there if we had 12 like the Big 12 or Sec. Of course maybe is the key word, but I do like the fact that 50% of our conferance is ranked. Can any of the other conferences say that? Cinncy may slip in there as well.

20. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Don't mean to be picky boilerman, but the SEC actually has 6 teams in the top 25 ( LSU, Florida, Georgia, S. Carolina, Alabama, and Kentucky) and Arkansas and Tennessee aren't far back. The problem with the SEC is that the good teams beat each other up throughout the season. I think half of the teams in the SEC could be Big East champs if they were in that conference. (GO DAWGS!)