Seaweed inside Lake Marion blue catfish

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by rivercatsc, Mar 14, 2007.

1. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I caught a 18lb lake marion blue today that was stuffed full(stomach and intestines) of seaweed. I have never seen this before and was hoping someone could shed some light on this. I dont think he was a vegetarian cause he bit a 10" live shiner. The other four fish we caught were all full of eggs and they had been feeding heavy on snails. Thanks for the info.

2. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    My guess is the grass may have come thru the lock or he himself may have come thru the lock from the Cooper,then headed to the upper lake towards the river.

3. sailfish218

sailfish218 New Member

State:
    SC
    I have not seen that before. Plenty of snails and clams though. What depth were you catching those fish?

4. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Yeah thats pretty interesting.I've seen several fish pass weeds and moss and such while there in the livewell.I think that some might actually eat the stuff because theres tiny shrimp and all kinds of crustations and what not hideing in that stuff.Some catfish may have a tendancy to eat plants like carp do.Theres some things science cant explain.Maybe he was just wantin a salad before his big meal the 10 inch shiner.:lol:

5. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    chris you hit it on the head they wer after the snales they dont have hands so they just swollow it all just like the shells it comes out the outher end.

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    If there is access to brackish water through a lock, its no uncommon to catch Blues in water that has a high salinity content. The fish could have picked up the seaweed closer to the coast.

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    When I say seaweed I am just talking about bottom grass. I think he was just needing a salad for cleaning him out(colon cleanser)LOL. I couldnt find any snails at all inside him but what got me was he was the only one I caught without eggs. I caught all of them in 3-4ft near the cypress trees.

8. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Check out the catfish study done on Lake Norman several years ago. Catfish do eat vegetation especially when other more nutritious filling meals are not as available.

9. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i have caught quite a few fish full of vegetation....catfish and trout. I always figured they were eating something in the vegetation or other food sources were scarce, so they made a meal out of the vegetation. have no clue really, but i have seen it plenty of times.

cyas
    robert

10. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    how far from the ocean are you ? i talked with a guy from work who came up here for the job from alabama he says all the lakes where he is from have been filled with salt water from huricanes and killed the fresh water fish