Seats

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by dtwbcs, May 5, 2007.

1. dtwbcs

dtwbcs Member

State:
    TX
    I am replacing the bench seats in my 1960 seaking.I was going to use treated 1x6; but a buddy said he would use cedar or "plastic"boards instead.He claims the treated boards arn't all that great.I am planning on painting the benches anyways--Any opinions on what to use??
    Thanks for the feedback.

2. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Don't put treated wood in an aluminum boat. Most modern treated wood is treated with copper. Copper + aluminum + moisture = battery. Read the literature on treated wood for decks and stairs. The only hardware recommended is stainless steel or hot dip galvanized. Direct contact with this wood will literally eat aluminum.

3. dtwbcs

dtwbcs Member

State:
    TX
    Thanks,
    So should I use #2 pine&paint it?Or go with the more costlier cedar?Or is there something elese that will work?

Dan

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I would use 3/4" plywood, MDO (Medium Density Overlay) if possible, and paint it.

You may not want to buy an entire sheet of that stuff, however...it's a bit pricey, so exterior A/B plywood will be fine.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The TACO lumber would be the ultimate. It wouldnt go anywhere in this life time. Its pricey too.
    You'll find that the best options are pricey but really not pricey when you figure you buy and install the pricey stuff one time versus installing the "cheap" way out numerous times over the course of ownership.

My time is more valuable then any product. I put it there to last until I dont want it on the boat anymore.