Seat bases

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Blake Waterworth, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Blake Waterworth

Blake Waterworth New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Does anybody have any tricks to keep theseat bases tight on the deck of an aluminum boat? I used screws but they keep loosing up. Was wandering if they make something like a drywall anchor only heavier? Any ideas?:eek:oooh:

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I used 1/4-20 aluminum rivnuts in the floor of my boat, might have been 5/16-18 can't remember (I have both), but rivnuts are the ticket!:wink:

That way you install with a machine thread instead of a sheet metal screw.

Actually to be more specific: The seat bases are installed on stiffener plates with nylok nuts and bolts. The stiffener plate was installed to the floor with rivnuts. Solid as a rock!

See pic:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w224/Darryl076/SeatPedestals008.jpg

3. Blake Waterworth

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks! Where do I find these Rivnuts?:confused2:

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Blake, bring her over to the house and we'll throw and inch of weld on each side:wink:

5. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Everything I mount on my boat is done with rivnuts also. You have to buy the gun to install them but it is money well spent. You will be amazed at how much you use them. I got mine from a local Fastenal store. If you buy from Fastenal online it cost way more than going into a store.

6. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Some auto parts stores carry rivnuts and the tools. They use them at work to attach the big mirrors to the doors of our 1-ton dump trucks.

7. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I had an old jon that i used liquid nails on and then screwed down . Welding is the best though .

On my boat now I put in a marine board floor covered in gray outdoor carpet and just bolted to the floor works great for me .

8. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    If it is up front and you can get a small piece of 2x2 or 2x4 under the aluminum deck and screw large wood or sheet metal screws or bolts and lock washers thru the seat bracket, deck and into the wood pulling it up tight. This will give you more grab room and spreading out the weight and stress distribution.

This is how I did mine and can nearly swing on it..... does not move at all.

T T
    -----l-------------l---------------------- plate
    ___l________l__________________deck
    l l
    -----l-------------l----------------
    wwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wood
    -----l-------------l---------------
    xlx xlx

AJ

9. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Blake if you live near PM me and I'll loan u my riv nut tool.

10. Blake Waterworth

State:
    Missouri
    Hey thanks Joe but I think im going to go ahead and buy one they look pretty handy to have around. Thanks alot for the offer though!!