SeaStar hydraulic steering cylinder?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Big Dav, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I ordered the cylinder and helm last week and to my surprise FedEx dropped off the cylinder on Sat. I opened the box to check it out and the only thing in the box was the cylinder and a small bag with what looks like two collars and one set screw, nothing else.
    Has anyone one else on here bought or installed a SeaStar HC5345 cylinder? I contacted the dealer that I bought it from and he replied that he would look around the shop for the manual and bleeder / feeler hoses.:angry: What else is this cylinder missing? This guy is suppose to be a Teleflex dealer and the cylinder was suppose to include everything and be new int he box. It is new but I am :confused2: about why the items were not in the box.
    My helm (hh5271) will be here on Monday and I need to order the correct length hoses as soon as I move the console and get a correct measurement for the hoses. So I am not in a hurry but it kinda sucks to open a new toy and find missing items.
    Any help on what comes with the cylinder would be very useful. I found the manual online so that is not a big deal but knowing the other missing items (if any) is a big deal.
    Thanks again for your help
    David

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Any particular reason for not ordering the complete kit?

3. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I could not find the kit near as cheap as I could find the separate pieces. I ended up getting the cylinder and helm for $669 ($329 for the HC5345 cylinder, $340 for the HH5271 helm) and the Kevlar hoses are looking like $169 depending on length. The $169 is for 20ft hoses, I think those will be long enough. I checked with two local dealers and they wanted just under $1,200 for the complete kit with standard hoses (not Kevlar). I did find the kit cheaper on Ebay but not as cheap as I could buy the helm, cylinder and hoses separate.
    I don't mind spending money on something but I will save money where possible.
    I think the dealer just made a mistake and did not send the manual and filler hoses with the cylinder. I am not even sure the filler hoses come with the cylinder and not the helm that will be in tomorrow. ?? He said he would try to find them and send them to me on Monday. I just wanted to know what else should have been in the box with the cylinder. So I can make sure I am not missing something when i install it.
    The attached pictures are of everything that was in the box.
    Thanks
    David

Attached Files:

4. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I believe you have all the items that come with that part number - HC5345. I do not believe the fill kit is included with it. You will also need the helm - HH5271 which you have on order already. You will also need the following items - a fill kit, part number - HA5438 or remote fill kit, part number HA5450, Oil, part number HA5430 quarts or HA5440 for gallons and as you mentioned hoses TF1350 for standard hoses or TF1351 for the Kevlar.

Attached Files:

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Is your engine too large for the Baystar?

6. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Jay,
    Thanks very much for the reply and information.
    I printed off the manual last night and it looks like I am missing some of the plastic spacers needed on a Johnson motor. I am waiting on Teleflex Canada to wake up so I can call them and see about getting the parts.
    I only have a threaded collar w/ set screw, two stainless washers and one metal spacer.
    Here is scan page for Johnson's. From the page I only have the two #11 washers, the two #7 and one #8 plastic spacers are missing. The only large spacer I have is metal.??

Thanks very much for the help,
    David

Attached Files:

7. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Mark,
    Teleflex said the speed of the boat with the motor was over what they recommended for the Baystar. I just gave them the motor info and boat info and they told me not to use the Baystar. I asked why and they said top speed would be higher than would be safe for the baystar.
    I wish I could have gotten off with the cheaper Bay Star system.
    Thanks
    David

8. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    A lot of applications, including some Johnson, require spacer kit HO5090. You might ask them if this kit is required for your setup. It may explain the missing washers and spacers.

9. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Thanks,
    I just called Teleflex and left a message for the tech to call me back. I cannot reach the dealer I bought it from but I will keep trying. The only time I have gotten a reply from him is late in the afternoon on past attempts to reach him. From what I could find out before I ordered I did not need the spacer kit, only what came with the cylinder. From the picture you posted it looks like the parts in that picture are the ones I am missing.
    My helm should be here either today or tomorrow and I still need to measure the hoses. I am wanting to have everything in so I can get it installed for this weekend. I need some therapy from a BIG CAT this weekend and I want to take the new boat.:big_smile:
    Thanks again for the help, it is much appreciated.
    David

10. illinois_angler

illinois_angler Member

State:
    IL
    I think Teleflex anticipated a higher speed than what you will actually get out of that rig. I think the Baystar is rated at a 150hp tops and a 50mph top speed. I'm positive you would be under the top speed and are well under the max hp. I know of two Sea Ark 20' Super Jons that both have 150hp and are only hitting about 55mph on the GPS.

11. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    So did I get the wrong thing with the SeaStar or is it a better system than the BayStar? I have not had this boat on the water with a GPS as of yet but I have been told from others that have this boat and a 115 that it tops out around 50-51 mph on there GPS. That top speed is from others and I have no clue if this boat will go that fast and I don't need it to go that fast. I just want the right equipment for that I am putting it on and it to be safe.:confused2:

Thanks
    David

12. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I got a call back from Teleflex and I am missing a bag of parts that had the spacers I need. He said he would have to call me back after he found out how he would go about getting the parts to me. Still waiting!

I also got a call from the dealer I bought the cylinder from and he said the parts were in the box. After we talked for a minute he said he would see what he could come up with and get the spacers and filler / bleeder hoses out to me ASAP.

Maybe with both the dealer and teleflex working on it I can get the missing parts. :eek:oooh:

Thanks again for the replies and help.
    David