seasons over

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by justwannano, Feb 1, 2009.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Well its all over for this year. I guess it was a sucessful year. I caught more coon , which was my target animal , than I thought was possible from the tiny area I trapped. Hope I left a couple for seed.
    I really didn't do much prospecting since I didn't know if my hips would stand up to the rigors of trapping.Both have been replaced. They did just fine but I was extremely careful.
    Hopefully I will be able to trap next year. Gonna do some prospecting this time. Also ,since I was always out of bait, I'll just have to do some more fishing.
    Its been many years since I did much trapping and I couldn't remember why I quit. Then my son reminded me about he and his buddys trapline. Ah Ha! So thats where all my traps went. I used to be pretty good with snares so I made around 40 before this season. I used most of them up and had to make 20 more. Still got most of the 20 and there are several knocked down under snow drifts that I will pick up as soon as they appear.
    I also discovered DP traps. One of the guys I chat with on another trapping site used lil griz traps almost exclusively. The number of coon he took was phenominal.Sometimes a pick up load a day.Sooo I'm gonna try them next season.
    I also picked up some ideas on sets to try next year and a bait presentation I hadn't thought of before.
    Hope your season was a good one
    the best 2ya
    just

PS
    lets hear about your trapping season

2. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Hey bob, you ever used marshmallows for coon bait? I know a couple of fellas that trap coons & they put their lure on a marshmallow, then stick it on a stick or nail on a tree for a lure. Evidently it must work out well for them. I've thought about trying it, but I'm just not very serious about trapping coons.

3. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    marshmellows make good coon bait. Later Andy

4. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    Yeah.
    I used them on the trigger of my dog proof traps.
    Also in a couple of live traps.
    This is the first year I've tried them. I guess they work ok but would be better if you pre baited with them.
    Have a good one
    just

5. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Glad to hear you had a good season Bob. I did pretty good for what time I got to trap this season. I got a few first and learned a few more things this year so thats always a good thing...LOL! What was your totals on your catches for this season?

6. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    Ya know I didn't keep good track except for the coon.
    I caught 32 coon
    too many possums
    3 rats - water trapping was a little harder with my hips.
    No mink - that was disapointing
    1 skunk
    4 house cats AKA ditch tigers
    I had action at some hay sets- a new set for me. Definately gonna use it.
    Several of the neighbors have free running dogs and they messed with my DP traps.

I tried pvc trapping this year -new sets for me.-I was disapointed but maybe they have their place. I'll try them again next year.
    Anyway it was fun. Not profitable but fun.

Have a good one
    just

7. williambevels

williambevels New Member

State:
    alabama
    i like jack mackeral with 1 oz of liquid smoke for all my bait.
    on the little grizzlies you better buy quick if you can find them because the guy who makes them said they will be going up to $240.00 a dz.
    duke trap company plans on making some traps like the grizzlies and will be out some times this summer.they will be cheaper but you know you get what you pay for...the pipe sets works great on water sets but the key is placing them on sign and using ground fish for bait.