Seasoned Squash Casserole

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Catgirl, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I grew up eating what I call "plain old" squash casserole.....partially cooked squash and onions, layered with American cheese, saltine crackers, dotted with butter, S&P, then baked. I still like that, but for something a bit different this particular one hits the spot for me. Occasionally I throw in some cheese and chopped hot peppers, but it's good just like this. I've never made it with zucchini, but I'm sure that would work too.

2 lbs. yellow squash, thickly sliced
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 carrot, finely grated
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1 can cream of chicken (or mushroom) soup
    1 jar (2-oz.) pimientos
    I cup (8-oz.) sour cream
    1 pkg (8-oz.) herb seasoned stuffing mix
    1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine

Boil squash with 1/2 tsp. salt for 5-7 minutes. Drain, mash slightly. Stir in remaining ingredients EXCEPT for stuffing mix and butter. Melt butter, mix with stuffing. Add half of butter/stuffing mix to squash mixture and stir well. Spoon into greased 9 x 13" pan; top with remaining butter/stuffing mix.

Bake in preheated 350 degree oven approximately 25 minutes. Serves 8.

(This freezes well before baking.)

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    mmmmmmmm, sounds good. I'll try this one, my squash is bearing alot right now. And while were on the topic of squash, i've found if you slice yellow squash length wise, it frys just as good and isn't near as many lil; pieces to flip in the skillet.

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I can taste it from here. Thats some serious eating. Now Zuch's are my fav.

4. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sounds good, will have to give it a try, I usually just fry it up, I have never had it in a casserole.

5. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'll cook em on the grill, fry em w/meal, or around here we have what is called simmlins' where they're cooked down to a mush with lots of butter added and seasoned simply w/ salt & pepper; delicious, lo carb, and goes good with *cornbread (hehe, what does'nt?).

*not lo carb

6. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Larry, I've cooked squash all of those ways as well. Never heard the term simmlins' before, but when my ex-husband wanted "fried" squash, that's what it was. I call it squash mush :big_smile:. Does taste good though.

I also like to stir-fry squash, zucchini, peppers, onions, and fresh garlic together....in a l'il butter and/or olive oil. It's good with Cajun seasoning on it, or seasoning salt - even simply salt and pepper. When it's almost done, I sprinkle it with a bit of brown sugar. Doesn't make it sweet, just enhances the flavors. B.S. sprinkles are tasty on grilled squash too.

Stuffed squash is yummy.....dang, guess y'all can tell I like squash!

7. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    10 in the morning and my mouth is watering for squash... Sounds like a great recipe, I will have to try it... Thanks Tanya...

8. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Tanya, I like to spice up squash by adding a little salsa to the casserole. Your recipe sounds great!! Might just have to try it!:big_smile:

9. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Sounds great! Gotta try it. Maybe this weekend if I can get by the farmers market this week sometime.