seasonal patterns......?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catmandoo22, Aug 30, 2009.

1. catmandoo22

catmandoo22 New Member

State:
    ohio
    why is september such a good month for catting? how does the change in temp. affect the patterns and feeding habits of catfish? i know theres a few of us out there that just arnt sure exactly whats going on with our whiskerd friends at this time of year......can anyone help? it would be greatly appreciated.

2. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    this time of year in general the water temps slowly start to drop and it kind of sets off a timer for catfish. So they basically stuff themselves everytime they eat getting ready for winter because they are basically dormant during the winter months. Granted you can catch channels and blues in winter pretty easy but i notice it more with flatheads

3. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree with pendog, september seems like such a good month because us fisherman are used to the slow bite of july and august, i look forward to september because the size of fish i catch usually sky rockets and october is usually even better.

4. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Back waters right now seem to be a very good optiojn while out fishing. August tends to start off slow an then get hot towards the end an onto September. Good luck fishing everyone.

5. catmandoo22

catmandoo22 New Member

State:
    ohio
    thanks guys.......im going out on a boat lookin for cats this week....headin out early...like 6am.....in delaware lake....what spots should i target? should i stay mainly in shallow water or deep?....or maybe try to find a shelf or some kind of a channel? can ya help?

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Early september can still be very hot, but slowly the days will start to cool.

This week in Ohio we are gonna have night time temps in the 40's.

About a week of that kind of weather should produce a few degrees drop in water temps and the fish will start to feed.

I usually find the last 2 weeks in september to be very good fishing.