Season for catalpa worms?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by magicman22, Sep 7, 2005.

1. magicman22

magicman22 New Member

What time of year can you find catapla worms. I have just recently found several areas in my town (in Iowa) with these trees, only had time to actually check one out but didn't see any signs of the worms...other than a few holes in the leaves...not alot though.

2. willisjj

willisjj Guest

I checked a couple of trees last week in Oklahoma and found not even one worm on either tree. My grandmother said that she thought it has been too dry of a summer but who knows.

3. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    my tree hadn't had any worms in about 5 years. about a month ago i got 2 dozen worms off a friends tree and put them on mine. i checked tuesday and could see hundreds of worms on my tree. the tree i got the worms from has no leaves left the worms ate them and the worms are gone also. i don't know if the transplant worked or it was just time for my tree to start haveing them again. i took half dozen fishing tuesday and caught 2 little channels from the bank.

4. willisjj

willisjj Guest

At least you now have a few to fish with. We don't have any Catalpa trees down here in Arizona (to my knowledge), so when I went back to Oklahoma last week I was going to see if I couldn't find some to bring back with me (vacuum sealed). But, no luck. Well, good luck to you and enjoy those worms! lol.

5. magicman22

magicman22 New Member

I will have to check some of the other trees around my town and let you know what I find. thanks

6. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    when i got my tree i just stopped in alabama where a lady paid me to take the worms off her tree every year when i was a kid. she gave me .05 per worm for every one i got off her tree. anyway the tree was still there. i just cut a limb about 2 feet long off it and brought it home and stuck it in the ground. it was in the middle of winter and in the spring the limb started growing. it was 3 years old before it had worms. it had worms about 5 years in a row then non for 5 years. now hopefully they are back.

7. JDM2007

JDM2007 New Member

Here in kentucky they hit the trees about the middle of july then come back in the end of August.

8. 98custom

98custom New Member

State:
    Northwest Flori
    I usulually get them about 2 times a year between late spring and early fall.