Season almost over for Muskingum River flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by cats gone wild, Oct 8, 2006.

1. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Being new to Flathead fishing, I have a question for any Muskingum River fishermen. With the cooler temps coming this week, is Flathead season about over with? Or will it continue through October if we get some warmer temps. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

2. zcat

zcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    Last weekend ,we did land a channel cat.But had anther fish on,that got into a snag and lost it,I believe it was a flathead.I wouldnt think its to late yet for the river.I would go again,but i have some hunting plans now.

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Won't be over til the water dips into the 50's

4. Nightprowler

Nightprowler New Member

State:
    ohio
    Hey Phil find the deeper holes and fish them,don't be afraid to fish day time hours.Goodluck.

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Two weeks ago the water temp was still 65 degrees. I haven't been back out to fish since then so I can't say what the temp is today. Night fishing will still be on till the temps drop below 55 or so, then you'll have better luck in the daytime. Start using smaller live baits under 60 degrees and throw in some cut bait. Any time now they will start heading for wintering holes. Wich will be deeper holes with minimal current on bottom. When the temp drops below 50 you might still catch some if you are persistant but thats hard fishing. Time to clean reels and repair rods and such for next spring. Now channels will still be hitting decent, I've caught them in jan and feb under the dams on cut shad during the day.

6. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Thank's for the feedback guys. I think I'm heading out Sunday morning even if it's cold out. I'm going to put the boat in at Riverside Park. There are some deep holes in the area. Going to use live Bluegills, cut shad, and sucker. I'll let you know how I do.

7. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    I caught a nice cat last friday night , and Im going out to the Muskingum this fri night so Ill be sure to let ya know ;)