Searching for Shad

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Quackshutr, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Quackshutr

Quackshutr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma, Collinsville
    Hello everyone,
    Newbie on here, first posting.
    I've been doing some jug lines with youngest son on Oolagah but in the past few weeks I haven't been able to find any shad for bait.
    I'm looking for suggestions on how to find some fresh shad.
    Below the dam at Oolagah? Bait store anywhere close?

Thanks
    Q

2. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    You'll find shad below the dam but it's a high chance you'll lose your net in all the rocks. I'd be first checking back in any the of the feeder creeks in Oolagah first, second in shallow water on wind blow points and shores and back in the coves. If all else fails if you got a good fish finder you can locate then on your sonar if you don't see any flipping on the surface.

3. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    I've been finding them along the shorelines in about three feet of water. Look for a smooth sandy shoreline and start netting in about 8 to 10 feet of water working your way toward the shore. You might be surprised how shallow you find them. This time of year I find them so shallow that my locator wont see them. Sometimes they are really hugging the banks.

4. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    By the way there's plenty o shad up in the creeks off the Verdigris river. We did quite well last Saturday putting in at big creek. I personally like the river any day over the lake especially when those winds pick up on that big North/South lake.

5. Quackshutr

Quackshutr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma, Collinsville
    I agree, we've had decent luck in the Verdigris the past two years but thought we'd try a spot on Oolagah a bit closer to home, less driving and less fuel. I'm kinda antsy about being on the lake with the lil boat, 15' flatbottom, that we use for duck hunting and jugging.

Q

6. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Welcome to the BOC Deano! You're among friends that you ain't met yet!

If you find yourself in the vicinity of Tenkiller Lake, gimme a call. We'll get together and catch a few of those Arkansas River Blues!

7. Quackshutr

Quackshutr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma, Collinsville
    Thanks Albert, I'll certainly give you a shout. My 11 yr old and I do as much fishing and duck hunting as I can get in, no matter where. It's all great fun.

Deano

8. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Right now, the water is swarming with shad so tiny, they swim right through most nets. If you can stand to use them, they will catch fish...just get a small-meshed net.

9. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA

If your having trouble finding them, it's a good idea to try at night, shine a flashlight or spotlight on the water and they will jump and thrash like crazy but will not move but a couple feet... this is the easiest way to locate them that I have found:wink:

10. LaBlueHunter

LaBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    go down to the boat doc below the dam an thorw down there use to catch shad down there alot or right around the wall up below the dam shad usually run the wall but if u throw up by the dam dont let it hit bottom or u will lose it up there on the walls and if u go up there at night watch for snakes below the dam is the snakiest place i have ever been below a dam

11. hotrodsncatfish

hotrodsncatfish New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    quakshutr, a guide over on keystone showed me how to find shad and it's been easy ever sense then. just turn your fish finder sensitivity all the way up and you can see them with your fish finder really easy. they just looks smaller than fish arches and there are usually a bunch of them when you want to throw your net. just drive around in coves and watch your fish finder and when it looks like a lot more clutter on your fish finder than normal then thats the shad. usualy on the windblown side of the lake also there will be more shad

12. mrwhiskr

mrwhiskr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I was having some trouble also. I asked a local guide where he was finding them and got this advice, follow the wind look for sandy bottom and good luck. Workedout well for me, one throw got all I needed for a day. Thank You Sir.
    Keep them lines wet, ask a fellow fisherman and get results
    Try taking a handicapped person fishing, you will never feel more blessed