Searching for catfish in Jordan Lake

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by sosa23, Sep 13, 2009.

1. sosa23

sosa23 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I am in the US Army stationed at Fort Bragg and I am taking my wife and 13yo daughter fishing this coming weekend to Jordan Lake. I was wondering if maybe anyone can help point me in the right area to catch some catfish. I do have a boat so I am thinking maybe that will be an added benefit since it appears that there are not many areas to fish from shore. Any information would be greatly appreciated since my daughter just loves to fish and I really would like her to catch one. (We have been fishing the last 2 months on lakes on Fort Bragg and have not had any real luck). Thank you.

2. Asartin

Asartin Well-Known Member

State:
    nc
    Name:
    Austin Sartin
    I have talked with a few people about catfishing on Jordan and the flats near the " S " turns is a good place to start. I have tried a few times on jordan for cats but haven't had much luck yet. I've actually caught more catfish in my throw net catching bait than i have caught by rod and reel down there. Which doesn't mean they aren't there, I'd try smaller baits like chicken livers, night crawlers, or cut bait to start off. Its all about numbers when your young, the size thing tends to come later.

Hope this might help, Good luck...

3. catnbox69

catnbox69 New Member

State:
    burlington
    hello rafael, i go to ebeneezer and launch,its easy to find and plenty of catfish.go under the bridge and head straight into the back,when you see the fish feeder you will notice a very rocky bank.fish that bank and i promise plenty of fish.good luck and thanks for your service toour country:big_smile:

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I've caught cats anywhere I've ever dunked a hook for them on Jordan.
    If you are having problems catching cats there I can only see one place there could be a problem. Depth.
    Forget about fishing "holes" and 90% of what you read here because it doesn't apply to what you'll be catching at Jordan.
    At night fish water from 0-5 feet deep and preferably close to a drop off and channel.
    During the day at Jordan I'm still going to hang around the shallows and flats.
    The island off Ebenezer is a good place to start.
    If you can't catch catfish around that island I'd take up golf. Seriously.

Now if you are looking trophy fish, Jordan wouldn't even be in my vacabulary.

5. wtjordan84

wtjordan84 New Member

State:
    NC
    agreed...use small baits like chicken liver and you're gonna catch catfish at Jordan. The only problem is most of them are gonna be 1-2 pounds....Im sure there are some big cats in there, but Ive never caught any of them. Either way it should be fun! let us know how you do

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Jordan is the only place I've ever gone through a tube of crickets catching catfish.
    If you want to target the larger channels because they are there, I would use cut shad. Plenty of shad in the lake.

7. amk29

amk29 New Member

State:
    Durham, NC
    agree w/ everything said. i have fished on the bank right near farrington. you can catch a ton of eaters right off the dock there (the lights attract the shad...and you know what they attract). have seen plenty of people fish the farrington bridge from the rocks on either side, but this seems pretty uncomfortable and I have heard the snakes are thick there. livers, cut bait, nightcrawlers and minnows have all produced. don't cast too far out though, they seem to feed very close onto shore. hope you bust 'em up.

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Snakes love rip rap.
    In a 100 stretch of rip rap at Jordan I counted 40 some snakes one time.

Another fun type of fishing we used to do up at Jordan was the wash over ponds up at the head. The two ponds with that Chapel Thrill road running between them.
    Ease down there before daylight and start casting anything white or a chicken liver for hybrids. You couldn't see because it was darlk but you could hear them as the school got closer. Sounded like someone throwing cinder blocks in the pond.
    No need to cast until the school swings around to casting distance.

They are busting shad from underneath.
    We used to have a ball fishing for hybrid like that but it's like duck hunting.
    Short lived.
    As soon as it started getting light enough to see it was over with.

9. sosa23

sosa23 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Went to Jordan today and took some advice of the people who told me where I might find some cats in jordan. Well I went near Ebenezer and had no luck. Then I went under the bridge at Ebenezer and went all the way to the back like someone had reccomended. Well when I got all the way to the back (I went passed all of the log areas which are on the right side) and di not see any fish feeder. Well needless to say I tried to turn back and ran into some very shallow water. I was with my wife and daughter and we hit bottom. I lost 1 portion of my prop, and pieces of the other 2 sections. I then had to go like 5mph all the way back to Ebenezer. I did not have a chance to try the "S" turns (I wish I knew where those were, nor did I find this island off of Ebenezer. There is an islad near New Hope, and I am wondering if that was the one. Well neddless to say I had to leave the lake early and head back home to replace my prop (ouch, $160 dollars later). Well I will try again in the morning and see what luck if any I can have. If anyone can pinpoint where is a good spot to have my 13yo daughter catch some cats I sure would appreciate it. Thanks..

10. Asartin

State:
    nc
    Name:
    Austin Sartin
    Ouch, tough luck on your first go. When you stand on the dock at the ramps at ebenezer straight out will be 12 oclock, you need go on about a 2 oclock heading. Follow the shore around and you will run right into the small island. There might be some shallow water real close to the island so approch with caution. This area looks real good to me when I've been out there. The island is not very far maybe 3/4 mile, just stay off the back at least 100 yards until you seee the island, plenty of deep water through this area... Hope this helps, good luck with your daughter.

11. sosa23

sosa23 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well I went back out to Jordan this morning with my wife and my daughter after yesterdays fiasco. We arrived around 9am and went to the dam area (on the left side of the dam if you were looking at the dam).I anchored and had a couple of bites within minutes. Then it happened, my daughter hooked her first cat at Jordan. It was about 12 inches long and a beauty. After that it was now around 11am and no other biting. So we decided to go near ebenezer and anchored about 75 yards after the no wake area after the bridge. No bites. The we moved to the rocks near the farrington bridge and had a couple of bites but no fish. At around 4pm my wife and daughter began to get bored so we decided to leave. I talked my daughter into letting the fish she caught be released back intot he water. Cant really make a meal for 3 with a 12 inch channel. She understood and agreed. She did vow to catch him again when he got bigger though which I thought was cute. I always launch at New Hope so if anyone else would like to help me with my next trip back out to Jordan I sure appreciate it. I will be heading back out again next weekend.

12. Asartin

State:
    nc
    Name:
    Austin Sartin
    Sounds like a good trip. Glad you got your daughter her first channel. :big_smile: Its always fun to see someone catch thier first fish... I might see you out there next weekend, I've got the itch pretty bad and need to get on the water again. Just haven't made up my mind where I might go. If you see a 20' Angler w a silver rod rack and a BOC flag come by and say hey.

13. amk29

amk29 New Member

State:
    Durham, NC
    congrats on the first cat. never fished jordan during the day. i think the nighttime may get ya more fish. chicken livers have really produced for me. shad cut or live is a close second. maybe you can keep her up past bedtime and do some fishing...

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I've caught cats day and night on Jordan with a tube of crickets and an ultralite outfit. There are tons of cats in Jordan. Too many.
    Half of what you catch aint big as nothing.
    If you aint catching I'd guess you are fishing too deep, day or night.

That is one place you can't beat em off the hook fast enough. It just aint nothing to write home about.

15. justadrifter

justadrifter New Member

State:
    nc
    i have caught blues on the flats across from eb boat ramp on the point opposite of the island. i know the blues are there just not very plentiful i guess anyone heard anything on the stripers in jordan lately

16. sosa23

sosa23 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    "Justadrifter",

You mentioned the ebenzer flats near that island close to ebenezer. Where exactly are you referring to? Does anyone know?

I was not aware that Jordan had any blues. Wow.. Has anyone ever caught any Blues in Jordan? I was under the impression it just had channel's. I know everyone keeps mentioning not to go to deep in Jordan. Well since my boat is a 18foot Maria fish&ski boat it really limits me from getting to close to shore. Plus I do ot have a trolling motor on my boat which means I have to drop anchor. I sure appreciate everyones help so far and I will be trying my luck again on Jordan Saturday (10 Oct). I am bringing all baits from worms, ckicken livers, shrimp, powerbait, and even some cut shad pieces. Wish me luck...

17. justadrifter

justadrifter New Member

State:
    nc
    they are there just not in good numbers i guess give em about fifteen years or so, when you come out of the creek from eb stay slightly to the left and cross the main lake youll see another boat ramp to the left of that ramp is a large flat but dont try it now its probably a hay field now as low as the lake is

18. sosa23

sosa23 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Justadrifter,

You mention leaving ebenezer and staying to the left. Go towars the island and then head towards the other boat ramp. That boat ramp is called New Hope (that is where I launch from). The area there to the left of the ramp is very low. Are those the flats you are referring to? Does anyone know?

19. justadrifter

justadrifter New Member

State:
    nc
    coming out of the ramp it will be to your right like your headed towards the s curves

20. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    I have not fished Jordan in several years. But my dad fishes it quite often whlie working and they catch their share of channel cats on artifical crank baits on most every trip. When I have fished Jordan I caught good #'s of both channels and white cats on both cut and small live bait. Also have had friends to fish the lake right often for cats and have reported a few small blues also. The place to fish on Jordan right now is the wind blown points, use cut bait, live bait, and dip bait. If there is no wind fish the road beds, troll with them or across them at .5 mph, useing a snake or pencil weight 1/2-1oz depending on the depth, 3-5ft leader, 2.5 cigar float, and 1/0-5/0 circle, khyle, or octopus hooks. And vary float set from 1/2 leader to tight to the hook. You should be able to catch a good mess most any day for the #'s of 1-5lb cats are there! Good Luck!