Searching for Big Flathead Catfish..

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by CatCatcher, May 8, 2006.

1. CatCatcher

CatCatcher New Member

Anyone know any good spots closer to downtown dayton or around the area for some BIG Flatheads just me and a buddy who fish all the time together so no trashing anyone spots or alot of people fishing the spots I learn about

2. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey Cat, what you will find is the closer to the Ohio River on the GMR, the better the Flathead fishing is. Since the fish are somewhat migratory the number of dams greatly hurts the spawning migration of these mighty fish. I have only heard of maybe 1-2 flatheads in the last 10 years coming from the Downtown Dayton area of the GMR. Best bet is to head south towards Middletown/Hamilton if your looking for good numbers. A few come from Dayton to Middletown but Id suggest the southern stretches for a real chance of getting one. All last year, I took 4 of them from Middletown to Dayton, best one was the one in my avitar, about 10 lbs

Good luck and let us know if you get any up that way!
    Salmonid

3. CatCatcher

CatCatcher New Member

Hey thanks Salmonid for the advice that is what I was thinking. Last year I did pretty good in Miamisburg by the Chatauqua Dam I think I caught about 7 that were 20 + and another 12 or so that was 5 to 15 lbs so you should try that place if you haven't yet. I want to go farther south but dont really know any spots down there do you know any? I don't have a boat so dont really want to go to the Ohio River and also dont know any spots there either...lol

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    The only other thing you can do besides asking on here is to get a good map and driving on roads close to the river. I call it (scouting) I know its late in the year now but its best to scout in the winter or spring before the leaves get on the trees so you can see the river. If you don't find what you're looking for this summer keep this in mind for the fall/winter.You can get quadrangle maps from the DNR for around 7 bucks each, or look in a truck stop or wall world for an OHIO Atlass & Gazeteer from DeLorme thats what I use, its a large map book. I've found lots of places this way, then ask the land owner for permission if its not public land.

5. CatCatcher

CatCatcher New Member

I will do that too thanks S man

6. tocold4u2

tocold4u2 New Member

State:
    ohio
    there is some flathead , alot of small ones , but where there is small ones ,there is big ones . i hit 15 in one trip last year , they went 2-25# i continue to look for more areas !!

7. CatCatcher

CatCatcher New Member

Where were you fishing at when you caught those 15?

8. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    all along 73 outside of franklin is some good areas. just looks for stills in the water on edge of current. israli carp is a good flat bait for the miami. ive always done really well on that bait. look also for structures in the water. such as brush piles. etc. those flatts like to lurk in those areas as well. the bait fish are close by and they have to go far..

9. CatCatcher

CatCatcher New Member

Thanks Bryan I will have to check some spots out down there...........