Searching for beds ?

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by Stevej, May 9, 2006.

1. Stevej

Stevej New Member

State:
    East-central Mississippi
    How do you guys search for brim beds, what tools do you use? I was going to crappie fish today but the wind blew me off the main lake so I went looking for brim beds. Found 1 new one and caught 34 keepers, shellcrackers and brim. I can't smell worth a hoot so I just have to cast and hope. The one I found was in about 2 feet of water and I found it with crickets. About all I could get them to bite, even the shellcrakers seem to want crickets over worms.

2. drc3

drc3 New Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    Like you I usually use trial and error by casting alot. I also like to use polarized glasses and look for the beds, sometimes you will just see a muddy area in the water and other times you can see the fish swimming around. I have had a blast with the shellcrackers and big bluegill the past week.

3. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Another thing I look for is bubbles. As the fish works the bed he stirs up the bottom causing the release of gasses that are formed from decay. Later on in the summer if the water level falls enough you can see the beds, remember where you find them because they will spawn there again next year.

ST

4. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    I usually sight fish for the beds but if they are in deeper water or dark water try to smell for them then just cast around.
    How long will bream stay on the beds?

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn