Search for big Flattie turns into a big Blue

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Flootie16, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Went fishing monday night on the Ohio, I didnt get out until after I got off work which was at midnight. It took me a little while to get some shad out of Arnolds Creek here outside of Rising Sun. I wanted to catch a big flathead this time since I hadnt caught a nice one all year. So I went up to a spot I used to fish a few years ago with some pretty decent luck. It was close to the boatramp and I didnt have much gas in the boat due to the fact of the high gas prices and mainly because the only gas station in town was closed. As I trolled over the hole I wanted to fish I saw that besides just being there it also had a logjam in it, something that wasnt there a few years back. So I anchored in about 22 feet of water and threw down into the hole, sat back for ten minutes and had my first clicker go off. I set the hook and reeled a little five pound flat. Which I considered a good sign so I did get my hopes up a little. After sitting there a little while and catching a few channels, my Abu Garcia 7000 clicker started going off and was peeling line from the reel so fast that I dont know how it didnt backlash. So I picked up my rod which is a 7'6" heavy action ugly stick, I clicked the real one time and let the fish do the rest. My rod doubled over and the fight was on. I fought the fish for about five minutes before it finally came off of bottom, and on its way up it rolled and it actually felt like it was wrapped in the line and had come out and felt like a smaller fish. So that kinda bummed me out, Well then it dove on me again and I just knew I had a big flathead. After about ten more minutes of fighting I finally got the fish near the boat and as I netted it I was amazed to see that is was actually a BIG BLUE! I safely got her in the net and on the boat. I didnt have my scale or my camera so I cleared out my livewell and put the big fish in there until I was done fishing and could weigh it and get a picture, frequently checking on it just in case it started looking bad, because then it wouldve went back in the water and no one wouldve believed me. But thats better than killing a big cat. So i fished until about 4:30 and caught 8 fish all together. I caught another 12 lb blue which went right back in. After getting home and getting the picture taken, I weighed the big blue in at 40.2 lbs, making it the second biggest blue I have ever caught. I then loaded the fish up and took it back down to the river and after working it out in the water for a few minutes, I watched the big blue calmly swim off back into the depths of the Ohio waiting for the next angler to have as much fun as I did.
    I will have a picture up of it real soon. I have to wait for the wife to get my camera hook up cord back from her moms. When I do Ill have the picture of it up.
    I caught this fish on a live shad about six or so inches long hook through the head. It was the only fish I caught on whole shad. The other seven came on cutbait.

2. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    CONGRATS STEVE!!! way to go on that hog of a blue.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a great night of fishing. Maybe it is that time of year again and everyones catch is going to get better

4. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Awesome! good detailed post:wink:
    I envy you folks that live close enough to the Ohio that you can just pop down there after work like that...
    It would probably cause my marrriage a serious strain if I lived that close.

5. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Here is a picture of the Blue cat caught the other night. Sorry if its bad. I drug my wife out of bed at 5:30 in the morning to take it. As you can imagine she wasn't too thrilled to take it.:smile2:

Attached Files:

6. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Very nice post with alot of details. Congrats on a great night of fishing and on that big blue you nailed.

7. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Great post & great catch, felt like I was there watching you land it!!!

8. Tyme2fish

Tyme2fish New Member

State:
    Greenville,Indi
    I would've called you a big liar if you didn't post the picture.:eek:oooh: Oops, all us fishermen are liars!!

Nice cat you have there.:big_smile::big_smile:

9. ProRocketJP

ProRocketJP New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Headed out of Tanners Creek tomorrow night to try and find some shovels moving in the GMR......but would be way more than happy to hang one close to as nice as yours.......greaat post and picture......better watching waking wife at 5:30 for fish pics:eek:oooh:...scares me to think about it

10. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Ditto Willcat:
    Great post Steve, super fish. Nice job...W

11. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey Bill, Lets go!!! We will tell your wife you have to take me to Louisville and that the bridge is out so we have to take te boat.. and to save money we are taking the poles to catch dinner...

12. willybojo

willybojo New Member

State:
    fishers, in
    i would probably end up in marriage counseling as well if i lived on the ohio