sealing plywood on boats

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by cliff n york, Mar 14, 2008.

1. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i have several projects planned useing plywood on boats. how do i make the wood last a long time.

2. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I dont like regular plywood on a boat. I prefer to use MDO (sign board). Its made with better quality hardwood plies, moisture resistant glue, is hardpaper coated on both sides, and is stiffer than reg plywood.
    I sealed mine with 3 coats of Kilz exterior primer/sealer, and covered the top, bottom, and all edges with 3 coats of TuffCoat marine anti skid coating.

3. Defiant

Defiant New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have had good luck sealing it with vehicle undercoating from NAPA,Advance work's great and sprays on nice.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I figure as cheap as it is, one or two years is a lifetime. lOL I probably don't have much more time than that left. sigh

5. flounderman

flounderman New Member

State:
    Blaine, Washington
    What are you going to do with the ply? Non-pressure treated ply can be sealed with "gluvit" an epoxy sealer. I use polyster resign because when I do glass work I have a gallon or so, it is also a lot cheaper. Then I just do the layup. The sign board that Barry mentions is good stuff infact I believe it is 7 ply. I normaly use A/C or CDX, then I glass it. Good luck Jerry

6. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Where do you buy "gluvit".
    I have to replace my transom. I checked Menards but all they had was a floor kit and appliance epoxy.
    How much do I need for my 12" X 60" transom?
    Is Gluvit just a sealer? Do I need to epoxy on top of Gluvit?
    Where do you buy signboard?
    Do they make it in 1 1/4 "
    I probably have more questions :smile2:but I need to post this .

the best to ya
    just

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Just don't use treated wood with an aluminum boat... bad news.

8. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have only found MDO in 1/2" sheets. Got them at Menards. You could laminate a build up to get the thickness you need for your transom project.

9. flounderman

flounderman New Member

State:
    Blaine, Washington
    Gluvit is available from Boaters World online, it is epoxy. However, epoxy is not UV stabilized and must be painted over. Also epoxy and polyester are not compatible, epoxy will adhere to polyester but polyester will not stick to epoxy. If your transom repair is on a fiberglass boat use polyester, that is what your boat is made of. I used multiple layers of 1/2" CDX with fiberglass mat between each layer when I replaced my transom. I live 120 miles north of Seattle and there are boat builders and repair places all over this place, most of them repair with what was used to build the boat to begin with. The sign board coated with Gluvit would be great as a floor replacement on a pontoon boat. I would not use pressure treated in boat repair.