Sealing holes in transom

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by bigbearfireman, Aug 9, 2006.

1. bigbearfireman

bigbearfireman New Member

State:
    Lawrence,ks
    Hello guys i have a ?? for you all to answer. I need some help sealing two holes in my transom below the water line. These old holes were part of the mounting bracket of my old motor but my new motor, does not need this piece. I need to seal these holes up. What would i use to seal the holes. Thank u guys in advance. :smile2:

2. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    How big are the holes? if they are of the smaller variety you can use rtv they do make a marine grade that is waterproof, really just about any type of waterproof caulk can be used as long as you allow it the proper cure time that is what I used to seal around my transducer on the boat you can get it in clear or white, if holes are larger you may have to get fiberglass(assuming your boat is fiberglass) and repair the gel coat you can get this in a kit from just about any marine store. hope this helps and you get her afloat

3. bigbearfireman

State:
    Lawrence,ks
    The transom holes are a little bigger than 1/4 inch its on a 1965 tri hull

4. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    you should be able to seal those with "rtv" just fill the holes completely through with the rtv and allow it to dry completely and that should solve your problem if not you can always get the gelcoat kit and patch the outside for a more complete repair, hey just a thought can you put 1/4 bolts through the holes and replace the nuts? if so you can rtv the bolts and replace them when it dries it wont leak just my .02 worth hope it helps

5. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Use stainless steel bolts, flat washers (on each side) and nylock nuts, put silocone around bolts and under washers tighten down snug and silocone over the nuts and bolt heads.........hope this helps......steve

6. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    What Dragger said. I have done this before and it worked fine.

ST

7. bigbearfireman

State:
    Lawrence,ks
    The acutal hole size is 7/16, Thanks for the information :smile2: How do you guys feel about marine 5200 sealant? compared too rtv and silicone? Will they give the same effect or does one out perform the other.

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Patrick use the 5200 or the 4200 either one. It will last a life time but even marine RTV will give up the ghost after so long.